normstar

Beer Can Chicken Anxiety

Hey all, gonna make my first beer can chickens today - but there are so many different suggestions on here I don't know where to start! I reckon I'll keep it simple for the first time. I've got two Jidori chickens (best chickens in so cal if you haven't heard of them, they are incredible). They also come WITH head and neck. Anyway, forgot to brine them last night so I may just do beer can with salt and pepper rub, and perhaps baste with the Roadside Chicken recipe. Cook director 350 or so on main grate until breast hits 165?

Appreciate any thought and I'll post pics later!

Re: Beer Can Chicken Anxiety

Read the reviews on beer can chicken and why it is not only not adding moisture or flavour but may be making the chicken less safe to eat as the internal temp is kept down by the restricted airflow.

I think it was on Amazing Ribs or some such website that did a complete scientific analysis on beer but chicken.

I also prefer spatchcock you get more surface area for char etc

Re: Beer Can Chicken Anxiety

I am a firm believer that the ceramics (even my old POSK) do chicken better than anything else. A good high quality metal smoker can turn out as good a brisket or pork butt, but not chicken, it comes out too dry. Learned about spatchcocking chicken on the old K forum (back in the day when it was fun and helpful) and I still prefer it to beer can, even before reading these posts about bad side effects. If I don't spatchcock it, I have a vertical roasting stand that works well (spanek).

n67340

post-7343-139082402764_thumb.jpg