normstar

Pizza Stone - direct or indirect?

Hi All -

Gearing up to make some pizza's tonight and I've got one question - do you suggest putting the heat deflector on the basket and the pizza stone on the top grill? Or just put the pizza stone on the top grill and let it absorb the direct heat?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!!

andy

manhattan beach, ca

Re: Pizza Stone - direct or indirect?

I use the pizza stone on the upper grill.. Easier to put them on and take off as well as taking advantage of the convection heat coming off the ceiling..

The thicker the crust the lower the cooking temp.. 1st pizza will tell you if you need more or less heat.. If the top burns before the crust is ready turn it down.. if crust burns before the top is finished turn it up..

I control high temps with the damper top completely..

;);)

High heat is all about air flow, the deflector would not help (though it wouldn't hurt much). If its not helping than all you would be doing is heat cycling your deflector for no real reason? Some downside + no advantages = don't use it imho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Direct heat to the baking stone will heat it faster and keep it hot more efficiently..

As heat is airflow, it's important to use larger pieces of charcoal.. dumping the smalls from the bottom of the bag will restrict airflow and make it difficult or impossible to hit high temps.. golf ball and up chunks are best. If you have smalls pour them only around the very outside of the basket. This will still let large a volume of air travel thru the basket. Remember there is no airflow until you close the lid.

;);)