mk1

Hybrid brisket cook- no foil

I have been using foil in my hot and fast briskets.....and loving it. BUT Syz's recent posts made me question the steaming of the meat during the foiling. So I cooked a very well trimmed prime grade (creekstone) packer this weekend using a mixed low temp/high temp without the Texas crutch. 17 pounds before trim, about 14 after trimming. I used a slather from Chris Lilly with half to 1/4 the salt. I slathered twice in 12 hours while letting it air dry in the fridge, so as to maximize the bark. Cooked at 225 to an internal temp of 150 over peach wood and KK CoCo Char. Then I jacked it up to 325 to power thru the stall. total time about 7 hours. Bark was super crisp, bacon cornbread as a side. And a little bacon grease in the burnt bits....mmmmmm n68689 n68690 n68691 n68692 n68693 n68694

Re: Hybrid brisket cook- no foil

Home run.. That looks awesome.. and pretty much exactly how I'm going to do the brisket in my fridge.

At parties, I generally hide those burnt bits and secretly share them with my inner circle.

Giving my select friends some insight into the magical world of Q.

If you look closely you can see the marbling in the cooked flat.. That's a fine chunk of meat, I don't think they sell those here.

I'm going to try to contact the company who processes imported live high quality cows from AU and sell locally slaughtered "AU Wagu." I purchase their beautifully marbled Tri Tips. They gotta be doing something with those briskets.

Sammies with red wine glazed onions and wasabi mayo.. on one side toasted bread.

To toast one side put two pieces into one hole in the toaster..

;);)