mk1

pork butt and ribs

Re: pork butt and ribs

I will just say that Dennis Linkletter is a man of his word and puts customer service as priorities one, two, and three in his business plan. You take no risk when buying a KK. You buy it for life and you get it for life. And my wife is 100% in support of that. Let's just leave it at that.

I second Mike's statement. I was scared to spend the money, but from the minute I got my KK, I haven't looked back for a second. Fourteen straight weekend cooks later and I love it more than when it showed up in the giant wooden crate. Every single time I clean it out or wash it I find myself muttering how great it is...weird? Yes! But I don't care! Dennis is all about customer service and his product is second to none.

Is it ok to do a high heat burn to clean the inside of the KK ?

I suggest NOT!

While I agree with mguerra, I've had my KK get away from me a few times, turning any residue on the grills to white ash exactly like a self-cleaning oven. No other obvious harm. This is hard use; I did basically destroy a K7 (now limping along in my neighbor's yard) with this kind of hard living. While Dennis may advise caution, I can say that the KK is built better than any competing brand, and can take this hard use better than any competing brand.

Now a new KK? Break it in gradually. Even this "or else" is not as urgent as it was for my previous cooker, the KK can probably take it. I rent new cars from rental agencies now and then; do you think anyone drives the first 1,000 miles as they would their own new car? Yet the cars take it.

I am finishing up phase two of home curing my 4H pig. The hams cured for about two weeks, and I hot smoked the first one yesterday. They were so huge I couldn't get them both in the KK at once! Today I will smoke the second. Like bacon, it is really easy to prep your own ham. It's just like brining anything else, except you put in a little"pink salt", which is sodium nitrate or nitrite, I don't remember. After the brine you air dry in the fridge for a day, just like the bacon, and then smoke it, same as the bacon. You may need a secondary fridge for these, it takes a lot of space!

We have whole threads full of great tips on this one, read those for some pointers. And don't forget to read the Naked Whiz website tutorial on same.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

But it is simple: Start a SMALL amount of charcoal. Cook indirect. If no Guru nor Stoker, open bottom daisy wheel the thickness of a quarter and top vent just barely cracked open. If u have controller, shut daisy wheel, set fire temp to 225, and barely crack top vent open. If using Guru, open the slider on the fan nozzle no more than 1/4 open. No rub is even needed, but apply one if u like. Cook to a finish temp of 185-200 ish. A 4 pounder will cook pretty quick, so don't do an overnighter, and don't leave it unsupervised after the first three hours. Do fill the charcoal basket. That's it.

I will give you the one I like:

Injection: 1 quart apple juice, 1/4 quart white vinegar, 1 lb. sugar, 1/4 cup salt.

rub of your choice, cook at 250 for about 2 hours in a pan, after 2 hours poor in 1 cup apple juice, cover and cook for about 6 hours until the meat reaches 205. Take the meat out and pour glaze (of your choice, mine has apple jelly and some light corn syrup, some vinegar and chipotle pepper powder) on it and cook uncovered for about 30 to 45 min.

The Pork Butt came out really good. It took 8 1/2 hours.

The temperature of the KK went down from 230 to 210. I opened up the Top Vent and

got the temp back to 230. I bumped up the temp up to 280 as the internal temp was stuck

at 154 and the temp went up. I pulled the Butt at 193 internally. I let it sit for 10 minutes and

then I pulled the pork butt. I didn't know if it was long enough time before pulling it apart.

It tasted good. Some was dry but the majority was moist. I glad I injected it.

I will definitely will do it again.

Remember that butts and briskets go through a temperature stall where the internal temp won't go up for a while; this is normal. No need to increase the fire temperature, just leave it alone. The stall will finish and then the meat temp will start going up.