Loquitur

Pretzel Burger Buns

I know I'm late to the party here since it takes a while for the latest and

greatest trends in the food world to find the way to my area but I tried the pretzel

hamburger rolls for the first time this past week end. I picked them up at a Price

Chopper 1/2 hr from my house and stuck them in the freezer since my

husband was away. It was the first time I've ever seen them for sale anywhere.

My first impression while they were defrosting was that they might be

heavy and doughy but this turned out not to be the case. They were soft and

pleasantly chewy but any resemblance to a soft pretzel was remote at best.

What impressed me the most was that they had enough structure to stand up to

my Wagyu burgers which are good sized at 9.5 oz and uber juicy as in 3 to 4

napkins minimum for a burger since the juices run down your chin and

onto your wrist. I usually use Anzio rolls which are readily available and pretty

good but I have to toast them directly over the fire to give them more body and

they are still soggy and mostly disintegrated by the last bites. Not the case with

these pretzel buns.

All I did to prep them was put them whole on the non fire side

of my sear kit while I was waiting for the KK to get up to 425 and they warmed up

beautifully with no direct flame toasting required. We prefer the soft bun to the

toasted crunchy bun. It looks like they are about 50 more calories than the Anzio

bun but who's counting when you have bacon cheeseburgers grilling on the KK!!!

Re: Pretzel Burger Buns

Need to make a correction on the calories of the LaBriola pretzel bun. At the time of my post,

I had already discarded the packaging and frozen the buns and checked the calories of a generic

pretzel bun online. Now I purchased more of them to keep in my freezer and checked the calorie content.

YIKES - they are 290 calories per bun which is approximately twice the calories of the Anzio

bun! No wonder they stand up so well - they are like a double bun!!! Still worth it IMHO.

:bs:

Calorie counting on a BBQ forum is clearly against the rules! :mrgreen: Save that for the tofu forum. :lol:

Think your area is slow to get things, try living down here in Georgia. Probably have another year left before we get it. Thank god for the internet. When we repealed the 6% cap on beer and allowed real beer to enter the state, I figured the world was about to end. :cheers:

Not far behind you guys up here in Iowa. We did "lift the limit" a couple of years ago and what a boone to getting great beers in this state!

However, we've had pretzel rolls for sometime now, so I guess that we're not that far behind! :lol: