Syzygies

Square pizza stone for bread?

Does anyone have experience with square pizza stones in a KK?

I'm baking bread regularly in mine, and a square stone would be the difference between two (bâtard) loaves and three. (My neighbors with chickens trade eggs for bread, so this is a matter of some importance.) I'm thinking that since I wait till the fire is fairly settled, and the KK fairly heat-soaked (a few hours), the corners nearing the sides of the KK is not a big deal?

Making cardboard mockups, either a 14" x 16" or a 15" x 15" stone would fit nicely, both with just over 21" diagonals. Or one could go larger, lopping the corners. Fibrament-D is a source I trust, that will cut custom sizes.

Re: Square pizza stone for bread?

Wow, great idea. I'd heard about kiln shelves for pizza, but forgotten.

A 16" x 16" x 1" tile looks like a perfect place to start. Lopping 1" off each corner takes as much room as a 14" x 16" rectangle each way, and a 14" x 16" rectangle does fit each way.

Any idea how easily I can cut the material? A tile cutter, perhaps.

Re: Square pizza stone for bread?

Argh.. Square stone? Sounds like I need to make a new mould so I can make a stone like the 32" grills new stone that takes up all the upper grill.. But I do think the round 17" stone does completely fill the upper left to right.. So it would give about 2" more territory front to rear and in the (missing) corners

fetch?id=67471

post-6370-13908240516_thumb.jpg