Smokydave

Sunday BBQ Pork

Set up my KK last night with a full basket of Royal Oak. Made a marinade of Dr. Pepper, strong coffee, garlic, onion and black pepper and put it in a ziplock bag with a 9lb small bone-in pork butt from the grocery store. Left it overnight. Got up at 5:30 to light the grill. Dumped the marinade and rubbed the butt with the coffee cardamom rub and put it on with three chunks of hickory. Temp was between 240 and 260 till about 2:30. Then I cranked up the heat because I was in the stall for a long time. I put the butt in a foil pan with about a cup of homemade BBQ sauce and a bottle of stout beer. Wrapped the pan in foil and put it back on. Also made a cast iron skillet of au gratin/scalloped potatoes from a recipe I saw on the BBQ Pit Boys website. Put that on the main grill with the butt in the pan on the upper. Ran at about 375 for an hour and a half then took it all off. Results below. I strained the liquid from the pan, separated the fat and mixed the juice in with the pork. Served the pork up on texas toast (our new substitute for rolls) and homemade cole slaw. The pork was great, but I'm not sure marinating for 12 hours was enough. And the problem with the foiling is that some of the smoke flavor dissipates. Still darn good. And the potatoes? Well, how can 4 cups of half and half, bacon, a pound of cheese, some onions and potatoes be? :mrgreen:fetch?id=68782fetch?id=68784fetch?id=68783