rwalters

Wondering if I can be pushed over the edge...

Hi Guys! First time post here... I have been cooking on a Kamado Joe for just shy of a year now... absolutely LOVE it!! It is so sweet, and with a new multi level/feature cooking system being released in early 2014, I believe it will be one of the most versatile kamados on the market today. Bottom line, I love EVERYTHING about it. It looks nice, it cooks like a dream, and comes with a lifetime warranty from a company that is TOP-NOTCH with customer service (much like KK).

With all that said though, my eye continues to wander over to the 23" KK. I am really interested in the "possibility" of a KK, but I am having a hard time convincing myself that the "enhanced" user experience is going to be enough to warrant the much higher price tag. I keep asking myself, "will it really be that much better than my Kamado Joe." I can EASILY cook from 200-750 (or higher), the temp is ultra stable, it is built to last a lifetime (with a warranty to assure that), it's just an overall GREAT cooking machine.

So my question: Besides the KK's absolute artistic beauty and over-the-top construction... why should I buy one? Am I really going to be that much happier with a KK vs my KJ? I am all ears! I just don't want to spend the money unless there are some really compelling reasons to move toward a KK.

For those of you that have come over to KK from BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo, etc. has there really been such a huge increase in overall user satisfaction... enough to honestly justify the cost? If so, how?

Just looking for some honest answers, to these honest questions.

Thanks!

I hate to see a post like this go unanswered. I do not have a different komado so I can't make a direct comparison, but I do know that one of the factors making it a superior cooking tool is the large mass of the unit making it far superior at heat retention. Thus less fuel is required, and less airflow is needed. This keeps the food moist. Also the shape makes the temperature across the cooking surface more uniform.

I do know that every user here that has migrated from other ceramics feel the device is superior (based on their posts here)

HTH

Welcome to the KK Forum. I have seen you at the Kamado Guru Forum. I had to give your post some thought before I answered to your question about being pushed over the edge to a KK. I have had my KK for 1 1/2 years and I enjoy cooking on it everty time. I also own a BGE XL which is 4 1/2 years old. At first when I had just the BGE I thought it was IT. I know I have spent just as much or more money on accessories for the BGE as to what I paid for the BGE. Nothing wrong with trying to make it either easier or better to cook on the BGE or any other BBQ. I have seen the new Multi-Level sysytem from KJ coming in the early 2014 and I do plan on getting that for my Brasilian Brother. That being said, with the KK I don't need much in accessories. It is what it is, a very well-built and gorgeous Grill/BBQ/Smoker,etc. I like the idea of being able to choose the color of the KK. The KJ comes in 2 colors and the BGE, well you know, just green.

Everytime I open and close the Lid of my KK it reminds me why I enjoy the KK with its ease. Not like my BGE XL, closing the BGE means you don't slam the Lid and I have seen Bobby Flay do that on a BGE. There are things, the little things about the KK that I enjoy, like the Silicone Plug that holds the cables of a BBQ Guru and/or a Remote Thermometer. Just take out the Plug, put the probes through the hole and put the cables in the Slitted Plug. One thing that I like about the KK compared to the BGE is the ease of Temperature Control with the bottom and Top Vents.

The KK weighs 500 pounds, so it will maintain heat longer than the BGE XL. The grates (3) are 3/8 Stainless Steel.

I could go on. There is nothing wrong with your KJ and with my BGE XL. The KK, the BGE XL, and your KJ do one thing, they cook. I personally like quality and the Komodo Kamado does the job for me in that area. I use my BGE XL when I need more space to cook.

Dennis has taken the time to build a High Quality Kamado and keeps on finding ways to improve it. My KK will last for a very long time and will go down to my kids.

Same here - I have a baby Grill Dome, but it's not a fair comparison, due to the size difference. I have struggled with the GD; it's just too small, so controlling the airflow and the amount of charcoal that can be loaded, just make for a more difficult cook. I bought the GD when I had my POSK, because for short cooks (chicken breasts, burgers, brats, etc.), the POSK used way too much charcoal. So I thought a smaller grill would do just fine for those cooks - and it does. But, that said, now that the POSK is gone and replaced by the far superior KK, especially now with the basket splitter, I rarely use the GD anymore, as the KK handles the smaller, shorter cooks easier than the GD and uses about the same amount of charcoal.

While I've never owned a BGE, I have cooked on a friend's several times. It's a nice grill, just like the GD, but it just doesn't stack up with the KK on the quality of the design, construction, materials, and the esthetics (that BGE is damned ugly - imo!). One of my pet peeves with BGE is that they "nickel and dime" you on all the accessories, some of which aren't really "accessories," but essential to doing some types of cooking (e.g., plate setter).

Not familiar with the KJ, so I can't offer any opinions either way about it.

My reason for buying the Komodo Kamado is Safety. The KK already has the base connected to the grill and I felt that this was a better and safer design than using a "Nest".

Another overlooked item is the top and base have a locking mechanism that keeps them tight while cooking with no heat loss in the largest sealing area, also the gasket is on the top not the base so if any food gets dropped on the base it is not in the gasket. I have smoked Salmon for 6 hours at 180 degrees F. and Pork for 16-20 hours at 225 degrees F with no problem.

Thanks guys! I have been thinking over your responses all weekend... my question in a nutshell was, "I have a Kamado Joe that I absolutely love, BUT the KK has really grabbed my curiosity... I am wondering if there is good reason to push me over the edge and sell my KJ to buy a KK."

The KK would be about 3.5 times what I paid for my KJ. That's a big deal for someone that doesn't simply have thousands of $$'s to just throw around.

I have compiled your reasons for why I should consider moving over to a KK, along with my thoughts:

1) Superior heat retention

** I get this with my Kamado Joe... although maybe not quite as good, it's still VERY good.

2) Moist food

** I get this with my Kamado Joe... and I have heard from others that you cannot tell the difference between foods cooked on a "quality ceramic" vs "KK".

3) The shape creates a more even heat

** This confuses me. More even heat for ALL styles of cooking? or low-n-slow? Grilling? Baking?

4) Get to choose color

** This one makes perfect sense to me, and is one of

5) Ease of opening lid

** A nice luxury

6) Silicone plug for thermometer cables

** Another nice luxury

7) Ease of temp control

** I don't see how it could be better than my KJ... I can take it to desired temp and park it there until it runs out of fuel.

8) 3/8" SS cooking grates

** My KJ has nice SS grates, but not 3/8", which I really like BTW.

9) Basket splitter

** My KJ has this.

10) Safety

** Definitely a plus for KK

11) Locking mechanism

** Due to the tension on the KK lid, this is a NEED. Not so on the KJ.

12) Nice gasket

** I like what I see of this gasket.

When I take everything that has been said up to this point, the Honda vs Lexus analogy really begins to make sense. Both the KJ and the KK are very nice "rides"... but one of them will get you to your destination in ultra-style, with a few extra bells and whistles. Being that they both come from very reputable company's, with matching warranties, it simply boils down to whether or not a person is willing to pay the $$ for added style, a bit more solid ride, and a few extra bells and whistles.

That's where I am at in my decision making process... do I want to trade in my Honda (KJ) for a Lexus (KK)??

I would suggest you go see one in person and make your own judgement. Hopefully there is an owner close to you, go take a look in the "see-a-komodo-kamado-in-your-area" section to see if anyone is close, if not post a request to see one with your location and where you would be willing to go in the surrounding area. Talking with the owner and seeing it for yourself will allow you to determine which features are most important to you, I don't think anyone here is going to try and convince you to buy something, they will share with you what is important to them, or things they find appealing in the design and manufacturing of their KK. Regards. Bruce

Why not keep both. I still have my BGE XL and I just got a Rec Tec Pellet Grill. So now I have 5 Grills but I only use the KK, the BGE XL, and the Rec Tec. You can never have enough space. From what you are saying, why buy a Ferrari when you can buy a Yugo. It drives, and it will get me to where I want to go. Heck, a lot of people on the Kamado Guru have Akorn Kamados. They do the same as my KK but I feel cooking with Ceramics is much better. Another thing, at 250-350, it is easier to put my hands on the KK then on the BGE. You call the KJ and the KK nice rides. I would say, you get what you pay for. Let me also say, I am not dissing the KJ or any other Kamado.

I would suggest you go see one in person and make your own judgement. Hopefully there is an owner close to you' date=' go take a look in the "see-a-komodo-kamado-in-your-area" section to see if anyone is close, if not post a request to see one with your location and where you would be willing to go in the surrounding area. Talking with the owner and seeing it for yourself will allow you to determine which features are most important to you, I don't think anyone here is going to try and convince you to buy something, they will share with you what is important to them, or things they find appealing in the design and manufacturing of their KK. Regards. Bruce[/quote']Thanks Bruce! Appreciate the feedback. I have looked at the map, and do not see any KK owners in the Sacramento CA area. I'd love to hear otherwise!

Why not keep both. I still have my BGE XL and I just got a Rec Tec Pellet Grill. So now I have 5 Grills but I only use the KK' date=' the BGE XL, and the Rec Tec. You can never have enough space. From what you are saying, why buy a Ferrari when you can buy a Yugo. It drives, and it will get me to where I want to go. Heck, a lot of people on the Kamado Guru have Akorn Kamados. They do the same as my KK but I feel cooking with Ceramics is much better. Another thing, at 250-350, it is easier to put my hands on the KK then on the BGE. You call the KJ and the KK nice rides. I would say, you get what you pay for. Let me also say, I am not dissing the KJ or any other Kamado. [/quote']I hear ya eggary! I know many enjoy having multiple "cookers"...I used to be one. I have consolidated my arsenal down to two. A KJ and a PBC. Love them both. But like I've said, my eye continues to be drawn to the KK. I agree that the KK is definitely the Ferrari of kamado type grills...but I definitely would not classify the KJ as a Yugo. The KJ's are quite nice, and a killer bang-4-your-buck. Still thinking... :-)

Sorry for us being so "pushy" about the Kk but we know you and anyone else who chooses to go with a KK will really be happy getting a KK. We were all in the same boat as you are and we would do it again. You saw the guy whose wife have him a KK and a puppy in the Kamado Guru Forum.
yeah, I saw that guy...pretty cool, huh? Only difference... his wife is a judge, and he's an attorney. I have a hunch they have a bit more disposable income than I do... otherwise I wouldn't be in this quandary. I'm saving though...just in case I decide the timing is right ;-)

Here is the thing...you can have a tool that gets the jobs done or you can have a tool that you really enjoy using while getting the job done and you don't mind seeing it sitting around while not even using it. Let's be honest, you are happy with the results of your Kamado Joe, the only reason you are thinking about "upgrading" is the intangibles. That is what you are getting with the Komodo Kamado, it is not only a tool but art. If you don't care about the "art" aspect, then there is really no reason to pay so much extra. Yeah, it may hold more heat...but who cares, toss in another few bucks of coals. It will probably last longer with all the stainless steel, but you could also buy 3-4 Kamado Joes, which may last you a lifetime.

You have two cookers and they will both give you what you want...damn good food. Do you just want something more also??? That is really the question.