MadMedik

3 - Nine Pound Prime Ribs Roasts/bone in for Christmas

I know...no pictures, it did not happen...BUT, I really did 3 gorgeous 9 pound Prime Rib roasts on my Komodo for Christmas. They were very very good. My techniques was as follows:

Cooking temp 330 degrees

Mesquite Lump coals, full basket all new lump

Dropped 2 large handfuls of Wine soaked wood chips/barrel from Lodi winerey

No deflector stone used at all.

I did use the small drip pan to catch grease...last year i forgot the pan...what a greasy mess.

I put 2 of the roast on main grill, 1 was probed with thermometer. I put 1 roast on the uppermost grill, it too was with thermometer.

I put the meat on at 11:30, thinking they would be done by 3:00, plan to eat at 4:00....leave 1 hour for foil and resting.

At about 2 1/2 hours my Internal Temps were around 125... i knew they were going to be done much earlier than anticpated. I closed up the air flow to almost No Air, and temps did drop to 280 to 290 over next 20 to 30 minutes. But the meat IT continued to increase....at 138 and 140 I pulled the meat , double rapped in foil, put in my super fine YETI cooler and waited til 4:00 to eat. They sat in the cooler for approx 1 1/2 hours. In hind site, i should have pulled them by 135 at latest.

We ate at exactly 4:00pm. Opening the foil, they were all still very, very hot...steaming and smelled great. The doneness was about Medium to Medium Well, which is more done than I would prefer, but the family thought they were perfect. Had lots of light pink throughout, the ends were done enough for those that liked well done...just a hint to no pink in ends.

We fed 18 people, which basically left 1 whole roast available for take home, to many a delight.

I was happy with the cook. Very tasty. Easy to do on Komodo. Finished faster than i thought....this time i had the roasts out of refrigerator for about 5 hours....last year i forgot to remove, and they had only about 30 minutes before going on the grill. I definitely think taking them out of refrigerator helps them cook faster. Just need to plan for it...next year i will be spot on...

Wish I had pictures...in the fury of feasting I forgot...hate it when that happens. Believe me,,,, they were good. Give it a shot!

MadMedik

Mad, I'm in the same boat as you--no pics. For New Years Day I cooked a small 4lb rib roast for the 4 of us and didn't take any pictures becuase I was distracted. It was glorious. I made an herb paste which I rubbed into the meat and let it sit overnight. Cooked it at 350 for about 2 hours (we like our more well done). You could smell it through the neighborhood. We ate the meat, the fat, the meat off the bones and the crispy pieces of rub. Had a nice salad and baked potatoes that I put on the KK for the last hour and we were well and truly stuffed.

Since I have no pics, I guess I dreamt it. What a great dream!

Seeing all the previous posts on prime rib inspired me. Did my 1st prime rib tonight – a 4.5 lb, 2-bone roast. Dry aged in the fridge for 2 days, rubbed with my own spin on the Coffee Cardamom rub (Dizzy Pig Red Eye & Raising the Steaks, with ground black cardamom, and espresso powder) and marinated overnight.

Did the chimney version of the pre-sear - chimney ¾ full of smalls of Forest Lump with a grate on top. (Sorry, no pictures of that part, as it was pretty intense – turning the roast every minute or so on top of a grate perched on top of the chimney with roaring flames kept me pretty busy. No chance to take off the gloves to work the camera!). Note: this worked really well. I will definitely try this with a steak sometime soon!

Post-sear roast went on indirect (deflector and drip pan on lower grill), after dumping the rest of the chimney onto coco char, with dutch oven smoking pot with red oak and bourbon barrel chunks. Target grill temp - 350F (actually got up to almost 400F dome by the end). KK took about 45 minutes to come up to target grill temp (meat was on the whole time.) Pulled roast at 125F internal, wrapped in foil and blanket, and rested in cooler for an hour. Forget to check final temp when I pulled it out to cut it. We were getting hungry by that point! Finished a beautiful medium doneness.

Served with Susan’s recipe for Hasselback potatoes with onion & leeks (that’s what’s in the cast iron skillet on the KK next to the roast), steamed haricot vert dressed with orange oil, sansho pepper, and sesame seeds, and popovers (no, didn’t use the pan drippings to make those, but I did make a jus with the roast runnings in the foil, with some extra beef stock, red wine, and wasabi.) Oh, and a bottle of 1990 Chateau Souverain Cab to go with. Dessert was pavlovas with fresh mixed berries (black, blue, and rasp) and whipped cream.

Pretty damned yummy, if I do say so myself!

post-975-0-57662700-1391362328_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-90283800-1391362357_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-69096300-1391362399_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-38946800-1391362418_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-20801300-1391362432_thumb.jpg

Beautiful, Tony - love that sear!! Bet that more well done rim with the crispy, spicy edge was delicious!! Tell us about the technique with the chimney. How do you light the chimney, how much do you fill it up and how long does it take to get to searing temps? Do you set the chimney on the KK grate to do the sear? The biggest thing holding me back from the Anova is the searing. I like a heavy sear and those little kitchen torches don't look like they would

do it for me. And I don't think I could adequately control a plumber's style torch with one hand. I have enough trouble as it is screwing the canister on my weedburner because my hand is too small. Can't wait to hear about your first Anova SV cook.

Again, this was my first time doing this, so I really don’t have a “technique†per se yet.

Filled the chimney about 3/4 full of smalls from my Forest Lump charcoal (ref. my rant about too many smalls in the boxes!), but this is a good way to use them up. Lit a couple of pieces of newspaper in the bottom, place the chimney on the lower grill to get the top of the chimney the right height in the KK.

Being the first time, and it was a bigger cut of meat, I was a bit paranoid about it tipping over once I got started. So, I didn't want it on the top grill, just in case. I could just see this gorgeous hunk of meat toppling off the chimney and onto my deck, where certain hounds awaited!! I didn’t want to use the sear grate on the handles of the charcoal basket either, since I have short arms and didn’t want to be reaching inside the KK with roaring flames licking my face, trying to flip this roast over on all sides.

I have an old small grate (el cheapo) that I placed on the top of the chimney. It was windy so that really helped to get the flames going. Probably took only about 10 minutes to have flames coming out the top of the chimney. Seared the meat about a minute on each side. I didn’t time it, I went by color.

I have thick rubber gloves so that’s how I handled the meat, with a large spatula in the other hand. Even then, it was a bit precarious as the grate isn’t attached to anything, so it wanted to slide around whenever I tried to flip the meat. Could have used a third hand. See early note regarding paranoia – glad I was cautious. Don’t think this will be a problem with low profile cuts of meat like steaks and loins. Maybe I'll wire the grate to the chimney after filling it, just before lighting, so it won't shimmy around so much. But, then it will be hard to dump out the coals to start the grill. Will need to have a pair of wire cutters handy.

Oh, and another small issue. By doing it with all the flames around, it burned up most of the string holding the roast together, so it came apart near the end of the sear.

Finished the sear and set the roast on the main grill off on my side table. Removed the lower grill and dumped the rest of the chimney into the basket and placed the cast iron smoking pot on top. Set the lower grill back in the KK with the deflector and drip pan on it. Last, set the main grill with the roast on it in the KK. Stuck in the meat temperature probe, ran the wire out the side port, closed her up, and set the vents for about 350F. Normal cook after that.

I won’t get my Anova probably for another week or so. But, I have a friend who just got his on Saturday. He’s doing a steak in it today as his test run. I hope to hear how it went afterwards.

Did you see the post about the Kick Starter for the Searzall blow torch adapter for searing meats, post-sous vide? If it ever hits the commercial market, that might be the ticket. In the meantime, I’ll use the cast iron skillet on the range top or this chimney technique, or my basket splitter on the KK with the sear grill if I’m doing more than one steak at a time.

Susan, bad news. I got a note from the Anova folks and due to the spike in orders, they are now 3 weeks backordered. So, I won't likely get mine for another month :( !

My buddy did his first cook and loved the Anova. Lives up to the hype. Easy to program, didn't take long to heat up, rock steady on the temp.

So, the Anova finally arrived and I did my first cook today with it. Sorry KK fans, with 30+mph winds, temps near zero, and snow falling, I didn't finish the steak on the KK. Next time. So, here are some pics of the steak in process. I did a rib steak, being my first attempt at this I didn't want to risk a nicer cut of meat. Next time, it's prime!

The best thing about sous vide is knowing that you can't overcook it! You set the water bath temp for medium rare (55C/131F) and that's exactly what you get, all the way through. The quick sear doesn't have a chance to penetrate very far into the meat.

Unfortunately, the weather here has been frightful (wind chills in the minus 20F range and it's snowing again right now!), so I haven't had a chance to use the KK to finish off a sous vide cook yet. Did a stuffed porkchop the other night, but had to pan sear it on the cooktop. Wonderful - is all I can say. The porkchop was a perfect medium, succulent; and the sage/bread stuffing was nice and moist, just popping with flavor!

Planning on a sous vide sirloin today, but as noted, won't likely be using the KK to finish it off. Spring can't get here soon enough!!!

Sirloin came out perfect medium rare, just like the first steak, except it was a better cut of meat (angus). Again, pan seared because of bad weather.

Did 2 boneless turkey tenderloins yesterday. One in Uncle Dougie's wing marinade and the other one with curry powder and coconut oil (quickly becoming one of my new favorite things to cook with!!) Didn't even bother to pan sear them. Moist, tender and full of the flavors from both treatments. Used the leftover hot bath water to cook my broccoli in - no bag or circulator, just tossed it into the bath. Worked great.

Can't wait to try a nice piece of fish in this thing! Have some nice salmon in the freezer to play around with.