ThreeDJ16

For the electronic geeks! A Guru lid open / fan off timer

Hi,

This gadget looks really neat to me. I went to the web site link and noticed that the kit was "out of stock"-hopefully it will get back in stock. I do love putting these kinds of projects together but it has been quite a while since my last one.

Two questions/comments--I don't have very good closeup eyesight anymore and I have anvil hands that aren't very steady either. This thing looks pretty small for someone like me. Is that going to be a problem? My second question: Is there any way to consolidate that mass of external wire bundles? That is a pet peeve of mine. I hate wire rat nests! You have bundled them up nicely--but it would be a lot better if there were short leads instead of long wires tied up into big bundles!

Zorro :?:

Hi,

This gadget looks really neat to me. I went to the web site link and noticed that the kit was "out of stock"-hopefully it will get back in stock. I do love putting these kinds of projects together but it has been quite a while since my last one.

Two questions/comments--I don't have very good closeup eyesight anymore and I have anvil hands that aren't very steady either. This thing looks pretty small for someone like me. Is that going to be a problem? My second question: Is there any way to consolidate that mass of external wire bundles? That is a pet peeve of mine. I hate wire rat nests! You have bundled them up nicely--but it would be a lot better if there were short leads instead of long wires tied up into big bundles!

Zorro :?:

If you do a search for the kit, you might find a couple more web sites that sell them, I just think that was the cheapest. Also they sold the kit in a already built form too.

As far as size, it is not that small. I noticed I did not post the box dimensions, so I will grab them later and post. I got the box at parts express along with the mercury switch. But as you can see comparing it with the base station, it is not that small.

Yes the rat nest. First off, I had no idea where I would need to mount the box when I made it, so I made the cable long for fan out, the existing fan cable was already long so I left it (also not knowing where the mount was taking place). It was not until I put the thing together that I realized the perfect mount was on the back of the base. Also the microswitch cable is long as I have no idea how far it needs to be to clip at a good spot (I do not have a KK yet). And lastly, one plan was to put the microswitch inside the box and have the box mount on the grill; but this worked out much better than that. So as a result, you can pretty much get rid of all that cable behind the unit, I just left it since I did not have measurements. Not to mention, I really do not care as my Guru port is being placed on the rear of the grill. Once my base rain cover is on (zip lock - hehe), you do not even notice the wires.

Anyway, enjoy the project and let me know of any improvements, as I am sure there could be.

-=Jasen=-

Well, forgot to put an update here since I received my grill and actually got to use this project on a real cook. Works great!! I also cleaned up the wires (as I believe Rorkin said something about a rat nest - heheh). Though the mount method is lacking. The alligator clips just don't have enough bite to hold on to the slick SS. I am working on another removable mount as I don't want to drill any holes into the hinge area.

-=Jasen=-

Reset Switch!

Well, I guess since I have not used the timer till now, I didn't think about adding a reset switch to it. Boy that makes things way less aggravating. There is a reset hookup already on one of the end terminal strips. Just run a wire from the ground, to a momentary contact normally open switch and back to the terminal. Now if I just need to peek in the lid and don't need the time cycle to stay active, I can just hit the little switch on top and the fan comes right back on.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Reset Switch!

Well, I guess since I have not used the timer till now, I didn't think about adding a reset switch to it. Boy that makes things way less aggravating. There is a reset hookup already on one of the end terminal strips. Just run a wire from the ground, to a momentary contact normally open switch and back to the terminal. Now if I just need to peek in the lid and don't need the time cycle to stay active, I can just hit the little switch on top and the fan comes right back on.

-=Jasen=-

Oh, now I gotcha :supz::scratch::thumbleft::help::sad3::sign7::shrug::wall:

Well, even Curly can at least look at pictures! And for anyone possibly making this timer for a KK, around 90 secs seems to work well for the timer setting. Also found that moving the alligator clip on the mount to the opposite side of the switch as I had it and turning it 90 degrees made a perfect mount inside the triangular area on the upper portion of the KK hinge.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1260mediumxg9.jpg

dscn1259mediumra6.jpg

Mod No Longer Needed

Well thankfully, the Guru folks finally added the feature that make this mod obsolete!

Here are a list of features you get with the update:

Open Lid Detect

Hold feature- allows you to set a hold temp after the timer runs out

Placement of serial# is more secure so base station and hendheld will not lose communication