wilburpan

Another tall burger and beans

Whipped together a quick dinner last night. We had four hamburger buns, but no hamburgers. I made a quick run to the grocery store, found a 1.2 lb chuck steak, brought it home, ground it, and made three burger patties. They were sprinkled with my usual salt/black pepper/cayenne spice mix.

I started Smaug at 275ºF, and cooked a couple of pieces of bacon. After that, I cranked him up to 600ºF, and cooked the burgers. With cheese, of course.

15245088163_88e99e16ab_c.jpg

I have to say, one of the things that keeps impressing me about my KK grill is how quickly it comes up to high heat. Going from 275ºF to burger-searing temperatures took 10 minutes, max. It might have been less if I was sitting by the grill watching the thermometer. 

After assembly. I know a lot of folks like smashburgers. I like building them tall. Besides, the veggies make it seem like I’m also eating a salad, which is healthy and good for you.  ^_^

15864111912_10c2dce290_c.jpg

For a side, we made cowboy beans. I don’t have the recipe at hand, but all you need to know is that the first step is to cook up six pieces of bacon. ^_^

15864743735_39641ba181_c.jpg

I also did portobello mushrooms for my wife, and for a side, but they were eaten before I could get pictures.

Killer looking burger, Wilburpan!

I'm a big fan of "drunken beans." The booze depends on the style of beans - chili beans get tequila, Cuban black beans get rum, baked beans with brown sugar/maple syrup get bourbon! About the only bean dish that I don't add booze to are my Cajun red beans and rice, because they get beer! 

• Like 2

Actually, I didn’t know that you used to run a burger restaurant. Is there anything that you don’t know how to do? ^_^

My first job ever was working at a Burger King. As a result, almost every burger that I make is assembled like a Whopper. Burger King is pretty bad these days, but I have to say that the Whopper approach to burger assembly still works great.

Actually, I didn’t know that you used to run a burger restaurant. Is there anything that you don’t know how to do? ^_^

My first job ever was working at a Burger King. As a result, almost every burger that I make is assembled like a Whopper. Burger King is pretty bad these days, but I have to say that the Whopper approach to burger assembly still works great.

Wilbur - the amount of things I can't do or haven't done far and away surpasses my meager experience in life.  When you can't do anything well, as is my case, you have to be able to do a lot of things just to make ends meet.  Don't tell anyone, but the reason I've done so much in so many areas is I kept getting fired!  LOL!!

If evidence is to be believed, the one thing I can't do in life is stay in a relationship!  Two divorces.  After my second divorce and until SWMBO came along, my idea of a long term relationship was a 3 day weekend!  I think I'm getting this phase of life figured out.