normstar

Hanger steak

My reference book of SV says that Hanger Steak should stay in the bath for 2 - 3 hours, so maybe you didn't cook it long enough. Also, that's a lot of seasoning for an SV cook, so that could have affected your texture as well. How did it taste?

Thanks Tony, I'll try longer next time. They are only about 8oz so I was worried about going too long. I used salt, pepper garlic and evoo, didnt seam overly seasoned. But then again I will limit my variables on the next cook and only do about 1tbs olive oil.

I will probably try one saturday and will let you know! Hanger and a Filet, sounds nice :)

I was probably being a touch paranoid about the seasoning on such a short cook (< 3 hrs). On really long SV cooks, they say to cut back on the seasonings, black pepper and garlic in particular, as they will take on a bitter quality if cooked for hours/days in the SV bath. 

Can't wait to hear how trial #2 comes out!

Hanger Steak 2.0 !!!

Tonight was the second run. Last time it seemed a tad rare and I wasn't happy with the texture, so this time I sous vide it at 138 for 3:10. I was shooting for 2.5-3 hours but got busy. I also cooked a nice prime filet, which i grilled on the lower grate for about 6 minutes then I finished in the cast iron skillet with butter and rosemary, on the indirect side. I dipped the Hanger in the Rosemary butter before searing it for 2.5 minutes, which is why it looks like a Supernova! :)

post-983-142639475077_thumb.jpgpost-983-142639495912_thumb.jpgpost-983-14263950869_thumb.jpgpost-983-142639511252_thumb.jpgpost-983-142639511987_thumb.jpg

My first reaction was - OMG, that poor piece of meat! But then I saw the last photo of the slices and went - Whew! Looks awesome. 

Nice thing about Sous Vide is that you don't have to sweat overcooking, so even if you get busy/distracted, no harm - no foul! I wouldn't have even blinked about going 10 minutes over. Par for the course in my kitchen! 

Seriously contemplating a SV steak cook today. Finally nice weather for grilling!