bryan

Curly Dog KK 6/26/2015 bryan *

I don't do hot dogs very much, but occasionally like a good chili dog. Learned this trick some time back, works very well. 

Take the hot dog and run a wooden skewer through it lengthwise down the center. Now put your knife at one end on a slight angle to the centerline of the dog and slice down to the skewer. Roll the hot dog while holding the knife in place against the skewer until you reach the other end. Viola, you now have a "slinky dog." The purpose is to open up the interior to make more surface area for grilling. It makes for a really tasty dog (and they don't burst open on the grill). And, if you're putting chili on it, more nooks and crannies for the chili to get into (or any other condiment). 

tony - we do those spiral dogs all the time for kids at parties here at ChezChef. Kids absolutely love 'em! I've had more than one mom call me asking how to get those dogs spiral cut. Once the kid sees it, the kid won't eat a regular dog! Makes a killer chili dog. And it works very well on hot links, brats, etc.

I don't always take the time to spiral them, but I do always take the time to put a few slits here and there in our dogs...not so much for aesthetics, but this actually keeps them from the shriveling up as they cool... I also like one long slit down the middle with some thin sliced fresh jalapenos worked in and a sprinkling of cheese at the end.

• Like 1

I was in Walmart yesterday and stopped in front of their "As seen on TV" section. They had a spiral hot dog cutting machine. I didn't check it out because I don't really like hot dogs but yup someone made a kitchen devise to do the spiral cutting.

find the machine to make Octpus and Seaweed. Kids go crazy. Could use knife but................ kids can't