TheNakedWhiz

New Whizcast Posted

For those of you who might be new to cooking with ceramic cookers, something to be aware of is the phenomenon of Flashback. I have a movie on my web page which is devoted to this subject, and tonight I just posted the latest Whizcast which is also devoted to Flashback. (A Whizcast is the new and improved version of a podcast. :lol: ) You will find all the Whizcasts at www.nakedwhiz.com/whizcast/ and the address of our flashback page is www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm. I hope you find something informative there!

good foresight TNW!! the danger of flashback is something all ceramic owners should be aware of before it happens to them.

considering the moisture retention qualities and low air-flow of the ceramics, high temp steam burns can also become a problem. not trying to scare anybody, but it's important to remember that with high-performance equipment like the KK involved, it is VERY important to be safe around fire.

i ALWAYS wear an oven mitt over my hand when i open the lid, and i ALWAYS "burp" the lid before i open.

as a side note, it is nice to know that, with the KK, there are no worries about dropping the dome if you have to quickly let go of the handle due to flashback or steam. since the KK is spring-loaded to open on it's own, the dome won't come crashing down if you have to let go.

check out TNW's movie(s) on flashback! they are COOL! :shock:

I wouldn't bet that letting the charcoal burn 30 minutes will burn off all the volatiles and prevent flashback. I've had flashbacks occur using previously burned charcoal. Flashback occurs also because of the presence of carbon monoxide in the cooker. When the charcoal is burning, carbon combines with oxygen to produce carbon monoxide which then burns with the blue flame we often see. I recommend that venting the cooker always be used, and don't rely on things like the temperature or how old or used the charcoal might be as a guage of whether or not a flashback is possible.

Simple rules to follow:

Always open the top draft first.

Next open the bottom draft door to get the air/oxygen moving from bottom to top.

Wait 30 seconds, burp top, and open.

If I am not mistaken you only have to do this when the temp is over 400 and has been completely shut down for a dwell, thus starving off all of the oxygen

Farmer John,

Actually you can open either vent first. Heat rises and it doesn't matter which vent is opened first, the airflow WILL go from top to bottom. In fact, another way to avoid flashback (at least on an EGG where you can totally remove the top cap) is to remove the top cap for about 45 seconds and then burp it.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking that Flashbacks only occur below some magical temperature or under one set of conditions. They can occur at lower temperatures and even with the vents open. I had one happen last weekend around 500 degrees with the vents partially open. I had one occur when the cooker was at 350 degrees, and had never been any hotter than that. The secret is that flashbacks can occur any time that there is a surplus of volatiles and carbon monoxide from the charcoal, and a deficit of oxygen. The greater the disparity between these two sides of the equation, the bigger the result.

I'd recommend anyone unfamiliar with flashback to visit my webpage on the topic and listen to the Whizcast.