EGGARY

Rib-o-Lator

The distance between inside wall to inside wall depends on which size Komodo you order. I don't see why you couldn't use a shaft (hexagon) between the two points and slide a rib-o-lator on.  The left inside port is spring loaded, so you could install the shaft with rib-o-lator on it left side first, pop it into the right side and then all you'd need to do is order a motor for it.

The basket you'd get from Dennis is not mounted on a traditional shaft. Two shaft pieces insert into each end of the basket. So you need a hexagon shaped shaft pretty much cut to an exact length...the length equal to the left side port to right side port distance plus about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.  Then you'd need a motor and rib-o-lator. Maybe someone else can chime in that's actually done it. It all fairness, I'd stick with the basket. It doesn't have the "tipping" possibility of the rib-o-lator. You could probably get 2 racks of ribs done in the basket put bone side to bone side.  But like I said, wait for an expert to chime in.

OK Eggary, the Rib-O-Lator isn't set up like the rotisserie basket for the Komodo. The basket with the KK comes with two small shafts that screw into each end of the basket. The Rib-o-lator needs a shaft going through the entire length of it to fit in a smoker. Now that I think about it, I believe the spring loaded left side port of the Komodo is not a hexagon; it's round. It doesn't need to to "drive" the shaft because the motor is on the right side driving it.  The left side just "holds" that end of the basket while the right end actually drives it. 

Save yourself some time and money and get the rotisserie basket from Dennis. Place a rack of ribs meat side down in the rotisserie basket. Now put a rack of ribs meat side up on top of them.  Now you can spin two racks and not worry at all about them being perfectly balanced and falling off a "tray." The rotisserie basket is much more versatile too. You could put a couple of whole chickens in it. A Boston Butt would fit. Chuck roast too. You can't do any of those with a rib-o-lator.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I’ll play devils advocate here. What’s the advantage of putting a rack of ribs on a rotisserie? It’s not like there’s a whole lot of fat that needs to be rendered off, and what fat there is is usually pretty evenly distributed. And a rack of ribs is pretty even in profile.

Compare that to a chicken or a duck, where there are areas with more fat than others, and it’s a fairly asymmetric shape from the front end to the back. In this case, a rotisserie is really useful.

I can see the advantage of having a Rib-o-Lator in a grill with hot spots, like inexpensive gas grills. But in a KK grill, that’s definitely not an issue.