Hogsfan

How do you deflect?

I set my Stainless Steel dual bottom Drip pan directly on the charcoal basket handles, I added about a quart of water to the pan and then set my top grate with my pit temp thermometer attached

If there is one thing I've learned it's there is no best way to do things.. That being said, I've always believed water was unnecessary because of the very low airflow in well-insulated cookers. Very early in the cook, there is enough humidity from the meat to have a steam cloud.  In fact there are drops formed on the ceiling of the grill.. I always believed once that steam cloud exists more moisture can't be added to the air.. and that adding water to the grill would result in basically steaming your meat and great bark would not form because for bark you need the outside to dry out.. Was there still water in the pan at the end of the cook?  I never foil because I love bark also.. Curious how chewy and dense the water panned bark is..

Dennis,

I was initially concerned about the water factor as you state above, however the reason I used the water was just to give the drippings something to float in without burning so that the pan was easy to clean after that many hours on top of the charcoal basket.  The Bark had a nice mellow crunch to it (dry and slightly crisp yes, but not overly crusty).  After measuring I seem to have overestimated the amount of water used.  It was actually only about 18 ounces, not 32 (1 quart) as originally estimated and none of it existed at the end of the cook, but the drippings in the pan were not crusted down either.  My intent was to try and make cleanup easier and that goal was achieved.  I will do my next brisket without any water to see how the Drip Pan cleaning regimen is affected.  Probably be a month or so before I get the opportunity to cook a brisket again....