wilburpan

Directly editing BBCode when posting/replying?

In the previous version of the forum software, there was a little switch icon in the upper left corner of the formatting bar. Clicking on that icon switched your editing mode from WYSIWYG to raw BBCode. Is there any way to activate that function again? Being able to directly see the BBCode was useful to me on occasion.

Thanks!

Here’s an example from a post I made on the KG forum.

I’m in the process of typing a reply. This is in WYSIWYG mode. (That stands for What You See Is What You Get.) This is like most word processors in that if you use boldface, italics, underlining, quoting, links, etc., you see the text being formatted as you type.

56e39acc97963_ScreenShot2016-03-11at11.2

See the switch icon marked by the red circle in the upper left? That’s the icon I was talking about. If you click on it, the editor changes to this.

56e39ad4075a1_ScreenShot2016-03-11at11.2

This is the raw BBCode of my reply. BBCode is a system used by forum software to mark formatting, quotes, links, and so on.

The KK forum used to have this functionality before the recent update. I’m hoping that this can be added back. I don’t always need to use it, but occasionally it comes in very handy.

Hi @wilburpan, sorry for the late reply back here. I have been reading on the IPS forums and i get the feeling that BBCode will eventually phased out in favour of the newer style HTML editors. BBCode has been around for a decade or more, and it was around when WYSIWUG editors were in their infancy. Now HTML editors are the new kid on the block and seem to be where things are going. Apparently IPS wont be phasing it out in the new future but it will receive less and less work over time.

Im not sure why they have taken out the viewing option you are referring to, so let me look through the forum settings and see if its an option i can just turn back on.

Maybe have a quick read through the following thread:

https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/417407-ips-40-the-current-state-of-bbcode-and-its-future-is-bbcode-officially-abandoned/

If there is anything i can do to get it back i will for you guys.

Will post back if i have any update.

cheers.

@wilburpan

Well it looks like from some further reading that there will be no way to bring this feature back for you. Here is the info i found.

BBCode

Though no features in IPS4 insert BBCode-style tags into the editor (like is currently done for attachments, etc.) users can still type BBCode into the editor and it will work fine.

We've rewritten how BBCode is parsed to be much more secure and reliable and produce more standards-compliant HTML (for those who are interested, it parses the post content into a DOM Document and examines only the text nodes for BBCode tags, then either splits the nodes surrounding it and inserts one for block-level elements, or wraps all subsequent text nodes in the appropriate formatting element until the end BBCode is found).

The benefit to this is that there now no longer needs to be a "BBCode mode" - you can type BBCode straight into the editor, even complicated stuff like lists spanning multiple lines, and it comes out looking great.

The downside to this approach is that custom BBCodes can no longer be added through the Admin CP. However, as mentioned above, we now have the ability to add custom buttons to the editor which work in a much more intuitive way, and can do everything that custom BBCodes could and more. For those who really want to be able to add the ability for custom BBCode, we've isolated the method that returns the supported BBCode (and information needed to parse them) into a specific method so that custom BBCode can be added with a very simple hook specific to that purpose.

https://invisionpower.com/news/9539-ips-40-editor-part-3-customisation-and-bbcode/

This would be global across all v4+ IP Boards (which everyone will have to upgrade to eventually anyways). Since 3.4.x support is just about run and done, most boards will have to move to 4.1+ over the next 6-12 months.

Still if i find a hook or add-on i can add ill look into it for you.

cheers.

BBCode (wikipedia)

The one reason I used raw BBCode mode before was to edit the "link text" for URLs, because the default link text used to be the URL itself, hideous and amateur in appearance. That has been fixed, with a second line available in the dialog box to provide the "link text".

While I abstractly mourn the loss of a toggle for raw BBCode mode, this is now easier!