evelitalian

need help in choosing!

Well, KK only comes in one size right now, but a smaller version is on the way. The standard OTB has a 22" main grill, and the smaller version will have a 19.5 inch main grill.

I am a family of 3.5 right now, 2 adults and 10 and 3 year old boys. I grill every chance I get and seldom, if ever use the oven (It's hot enough here in FL). Prior to my KK purchase, I had a #5 POSK, which has a 18" main grill. I can tell you from experience that the full size KK is the grill to have. It sounds like a monster to hear it described, but honestly it is not that big. You really should pay one of your local KKs a visit to have a first hand look and kick the tires.

My KK purchase came about because the 18" inch grill just wasnt big enough a few times too often. You have to remember that the ceramic experience allows you to cook much more than just your entrees on the KK. I am often cooking vegetables and sides along with the main course. Fitting these items on a smaller version can be a challenge, but the KK, with multiple cooking grates (Levels) makes the task much easier.

Also, dont forget that the KK heats quickly, and can be shut down after your cook, to save the leftover charcoal. While you may not always fill the grill, the extra space is a luxury when its not needed, and a godsend when it is.

It only cost a nickel more to go for the 23 inch KK. Half a bag (5Lbs) of lump charcoal will last over 20 hours.

It's a one time purchase. Go top of the line and get the very very best you can afford. (With this unit a little strain is worth a whole lot of glad I did's)

OK, after marrying an Italian girl and having 3 kids we cook all the time on the KK. Now more than ever as they have gotten older(the kids) we have all their friends over and have the best meals. It must be in her blood, Denise loves to entertain, and we have cooked some very extravagant meals for guests without turning on the oven. Granted I'm in the food business and have access to many varieties of food choices, but this has become the centerpiece of our parties. When one daughter called to see if some friends could come over for dinner, of course we said yes, but how many--she said --eleven! Thats about the only time we couldn't use the KK to boil water for PASTA! Should have made pizza though! We just replaced our Thermador oven and range after 11 years, found a very nice Wolf oven and range to replace it, I can tell you the KK is our favorite way of preparing meals. No this thing aint cheap, but neither was the Thermador or Wolf range--guess how long the warrantee is for both--5 years max! Customer service-nope. On the other hand Dennis is a young man(younger than me by a few weeks) and he gives a lifetime warranty! Who does this anymore?

Re: thanks

FIREMONKEY' date='thanks for the info.when will the new smaller model be available?is there a price on it yet.any pics available[/quote']

You can find discussion and pictures of the development process for the smaller KK here:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2143

Here is a picture of one almost finished in a new stone shaped tile:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2594

I am not sure we have heard when the first 19.5" will ship, or how much it will cost...must be getting close if there are pictures of them being tiled :D

OTB??

Thanks everyone,Im getting a bit confused on the models and letter designations.can someone help me on this?I think KK has only one size,but with different options?am i right? is there a list,and what does OTB stand for.I really want one of these,but need to know what is what!thanks for the help,be patient,Im new here.

Re: OTB??

Thanks everyone' date='Im getting a bit confused on the models and letter designations.can someone help me on this?I think KK has only one size,but with different options?am i right? is there a list,and what does OTB stand for.I really want one of these,but need to know what is what!thanks for the help,be patient,Im new here.[/quote']

Hey, no problem. The OTB is the name he gave his new shape grill (as in thinking Outside The Box). The original or classic shape was round. I do not think those are in production anymore as everyone wanted the OTB. But I do believe he will still make them as a custom order. There will only be two size models on the OTB: the 23" he is currently making and the upcoming 19.5". At one time he had several options as for metal work, but I think since everyone wanted the nicest SS, that is probably the only option there. Not a lot of accessories as Dennis pretty much gives you everything you need to begin with. But the only two I can think of are the gas burner and a reversible sear/upper grill.

-=Jasen=-

I'd rather have the wish I hads with a big cooker than Have the wish I hads with a small cooker. (Today I can always put less on the grill.)

This is Olympic time Go for the GOLD. Be happy every time you see or speak of YOUR Komodo-Kamado.

I think I am probably the only one here who thinks the small unit is not necessary and most buyers will end up wanting to upgrade.

1st class only cost a nickel more and in this case takes care of business.

Here is another prospective...For 30 years my brother-in-law was the BBQ guy in our family. Now, even he says the best steak, ribs, etc is what has come off my BBQ. There is a greater expectation for me to provide more. You will find you are frequently cooking for more than your immediate family.

You will find you are frequently cooking for more than your immediate family.

I have Another Manufacturer's Cooker, and I must say that Trish is right. Friend's daughter's engagement party. Would you cook a couple pork butts? Neighbors are giving Mother a fence raising. Would you cook a couple pork butts? Nuther friend having a group of her schoolteacher friends to the house for a party. Would you cook some pork butts? Guys in the mailroom need ribs. Maybe 6-8 racks?

You get the idea.

I, too, used to own a #5 K, and now I have the Gen 2.2 23" OTB. The #5 is probably close in size to the up and coming 19.5" OTB that Dennis is working on.

My opinion is the same as pretty much everyone else. If you have the space on your property or deck to put the 23" OTB--go for that. This way you can cook large and small. The only reason I would get a 19.5 would be if it was going into a condo with a small deck or something like that.

The 19.5 will cook plenty, I'm sure, but you don't really waste any coal or anything with the 23" OTB---as you can snuff the fire out when you are done and re-use the leftover coals for the next cook.