hOTSAUCE

chicken a la KK

I just cooked two whole fresh chicken, first time on KK. I rubbed the chicken heavy including under the skin. I cooked indirect at 275-280 for 2hours 40 minutes. Oh and oak wood smoke. They according to my and my wives taste buds turned out excellent, even so I would like to know how you seasoned experts out there like to cook your chicken?

Do you marinade or inject? What are some of your favorite rubs? What temp for indirect and how long? I chose 275 because I saw it recommended in some book, it cautioned that at the 220 to 230 range whole chicken could dry out. Is that so?

Best techniques for chicken halves or breast? give details please as to prep, heat range, main grill or lower grill ect... Use direct, indirect or both?

Spatchcock... 1/2 the time 2x the moistness

Try Naked Whiz's Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

There's a video on the virtual weber bullet (he takes the keel bone out).

http://virtualweberbullet.com/butterflychicken.html

I like to go easy on the rub on the skin side as I think too much rub can sometimes prevent the skin from becoming crispy. I also use a thin heat shield under the chicken (foil pan). I've tried beer can and other techniques and found spatchcock to be the best (taste, time, effort...).

Re: Spatchcock... 1/2 the time 2x the moistness

Try Naked Whiz's Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken.

I have been doing the Spatchcock Chicken because the chicken lovers just love it. Anyway another vote for The Naked Whiz's Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken because it just plain works.

For seasonings I have a bunch of different ones and I try a new one each time. Still get good reviews no matter what seasoning I put on the chicken.

Spatchcocking is the plan. I used to only remove the spine and flatten the bird, but I now like to remove the keel, as I think the bird lays flat much easier.

For seasoning, I agree that flavors just dont penetrate the skin well enough. What I do is soften about a 1 1/2 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave, and my spices to it and make a paste. I then smear the paste all over the bird, under the skin. The butter paste makes it easy to insert the spices through a small spot where the skin is separated, and distribute it around. It also adds a nice juicy flavor, too.

I tend to cook my birds a bit higher, about 325-350 or so. I get the grill up to temp, and allow it to heat soak for about 30 minutes. Then I add 2-3 smoke chunks (apple, peach, cherry are my favorites) and when they get rolling i add cold chicken right from the fridge - so it can spend a little longer in the smoke and develop a nice smoke ring.

It's hard to mess up a chicken on the KK. I've done a lot of low-n-slows (225 range) and they DO NOT dry out. He musta been talking about a gas grill!

I usually do mine in the 325 range for a spatchcocked chicken. Don't have a specific rub, that's always a relative thing. I like a crispy skin, that's the best part of the chicken :shock:

I will join the chorus for spatchlocked chicken. I use direct heat, 325-350 on the main grill. I brine the chicken all day in 1 QT water, 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup sugar. Rinse well, dry and let warm to room temp. I also use wet rubs (olive oil plus spices of interest to make a paste), apply under the breast and thigh skin as well as on top. Start skin side up, go about 20 min, flip, cook about 15 more, flip and take off when the breast temp hits 160-165. Rest the chicken for 10-15 min then serve. I find the best results with smaller birds (3 1/2 to 4 lbs). Once in a while I use a long/slow (225 degrees, indirect) for 5-6 h (varies by size of chicken) for something different.

Jim