jeffshoaf

Meater during searing?

Those of you using a Meater, do you leave it in during searing? I see the specs say the maximum temp for the ambient sensor is 527° F and that's easy to exceed near the coals when searing, but does that mean bit temps could kill it or just that it can't measure higher temps?

I've only had mine for a short time and I've used it twice - for one cook,  i forward seared, and for the second, i didn't sear. I'd think that for a reverse sear, it would be nice to be able to monitor the internal temp during the sear and also during the rest. I'm doing a pork loin this afternoon and I'm trying to decide which grill and forward or reverse sear to use.

Thanks!

It's an upper limit on the parts. I suspected that it was more about the internal battery than the electronics, but this is not my area of knowledge/expertise.  Best advice - don't do it. Just use a Thermapen instant read to check it during the reverse sear. 

• Like 1