PrimoSand

new cooker and roast duck

No, but I'm eager to try. :)

"The way kangaroo meat is aged can also have a huge impact on taste. Young meat with 1 to 3 weeks from killing can have a subtle flavour making it " www.benjaminchristie.com/article/233/ho ... t-properly

Young lamb cooked properly (like grandma did or the local greek fast food joint) is a real treat. Improperly cooked i.e. the way I used to do it, it isn't fit for human consumption. Old lamb (mutton) I believe is revolting NO matter what you do with it. Bottom line that kangaroo looks like its fit for the Q. :wink:

Similarly, young lychee fruit -a little unripe- is fantastic. I have 3 large trees and would like more. Old lychee fruit, some asians I met actually don't like young lychee, is the holy grail for some. They want it old. For me, I can't even hold old in my mouth. I talked to some American lychee growers and none can understand how anyone can eat old lychee. My body starts heaving--it is bad. Meanwhile the asians I had met were eagerly eating my old lychee fruit which I was happy to give to them. My next door neighbor also loves the old lychee fruit--she can't stomach the young lychee fruit, btw. I've tried it -old lychee- more than a few times; it causes immediate heaving. :(

Total brain food? Longans. WOW!!! I'm eating them and eating them and thinking NO big deal, I wonder what the asians were raving about? Then BOOM it hits me! These Longans are unbelieveably complex tasting. Each one is different and fantastic with hundreds of flavors--no other fruit like it in my experience. It just took me about 30 Longans for it to get thru my thick skull. Meanwhile, my barber tried 1 Longan and his eyes just lit up. He doesn't care for fruit usually. He stripped my entire tree and then came back the next day asking for more. I told him you took every last longan I had. He said you don't have anymore in back? NO! He says oh no, I think I'm addicted to them. I say too bad because they're fairly rare around these parts. He was one unhappy camper.

all right let's get back to duck here.

Organic muscovyck ....... so apparently there are more than one type of duck out there...... and some kangaroo as well. What's next Panda Bears.

I posted this ages ago and gave up. The only place in the Los Angeles area I can think of to buy a raw duck would be at a Chinese market and I'd imagine they sell whatever is best for consumption .... right ??

However I'll start looking for this Muscovyck and give it a try.

thank you everyone for the help

Jeff

Chinese style ducks

A friend, the owner of a Chinese restaurant, described his duck recipe to me once. Peking style duck (the recipe, not the bird) involves inflating the duck with air and roasting it, so the skin is thin and crispy and the fat renders out. Part of getting the skin crispy is that it fries in the rendering fat, as the duck roasts.

So, by necessity, a duck that is designated for Peking duck recipe should have the fat necessary for the preparation. Therefore, while a Chinese market may have a duck for sale, it might be a fatty duck, intended for that type of preparation.

Be aware of that, if you are looking in Chinese markets for duck.

Re: Chinese style ducks

A friend' date=' the owner of a Chinese restaurant, described his duck recipe to me once. Peking style duck (the recipe, not the bird) involves [b']inflating the duck with air and roasting it, so the skin is thin and crispy and the fat renders out. Part of getting the skin crispy is that it fries in the rendering fat, as the duck roasts.

That's interesting.

Yes they are indeed inflated with air and then hung up and cooked in a big oven, the special duck chef was standing up in this oven with at least a dozen puffed up ducks ready to go.

I saw this being done in china on the travel channel. Not sure how they keep the duck air tight and inflated though.

Did you see on tv how they force feed the ducks (it might have been geese) to fatten up the livers and how several cities are banning the product because of this practice? They would take the birds and force a small pipe into their mouths and inject (actually blow in) massive food into them to fatten them up quickly. :eek: It was revolting to watch.

Yeah' date=' they did something like that to me one time when I had some kinda procedure done for those who turn 50. Man I had the worse gas pains when I woke up from the sleepytime. :eek:[/quote']But was your skin crispy? :wink:

No, and none a tha fat was rendered neither, so the whole thing musta been a failure. :roll: