Jim Malter

Wagyu Brisket

To all-

A shameless plug for Teresa at Paradise Locker Meats (Kansas City). She just sent me several Wagyu whole briskets in cryovac by 2 day Fed Ex. These are like the famous Japanese Kobe but bred in USA. The prices are very reasonable (~$4/lbs plus shipping), well butchered with a nice but not excessive fat cap. I had tried these several years ago (from another source) and thought they were quite nice. I will cook one this weekend and report back.

Jim

To All-

Took the brisket (packer cut) out of the cryovac, trimmed extra fat off, covered with rub and left at room temp for about 4 h. Used Grove Hardwood charcoal in the KK, started with the gas (about 2 min), closed down the tophat to just snug, hooked up the guru and set for 225. Put a 17" clay pot tray on the lower grill as deflector, the brisket on the main grill. Started at 9PM. Came back at 7AM and brisket was at 175-180. Moved the thermometer to verify temp, cooked about 2 more hours. Removed at 190 (thinnest part of the flat), wrapped in heavy duty foil, placed in cooler with a few towels and left it until 6PM. Sliced it thin and served with tomato/vinegar based sauce.

Probably in the top 3 briskets I have made. It was tender and moist. The point was modestly fatty and more tender. Big success.

I recommend the Wagyu. The price is about 20% more (with shipping) than what I pay for an Angus brisket but easy to cook and very good.

Jim

To all-

Tried a slight modification from the approach above: took it off at 175 in the flat, about 160 in the point. Again wrapped in aluminum and stored all day in a cooler. Probably a bit moister and equally tender as the one above. I suspect that a fair amount of additional cooking happened during storage.

I might try cutting off the flat and cooking it about 2 h less than the point. A bit more work though.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I just logged on to ask if anyone could tell me how to cook a 5 lbs Brisket on my new KK.

If I'm reading this right I should stabilize my temp (no Guru) at 225 and cook for about 12 hours or until the internal temp gets to 190.

Then take the brisket out of the KK, wrap in tin foil, put it in a cooler wrapped in towels for another 10 hours ???

Wow.

Let me know if I'm missing anything and thanks for your help.

Jeff Byers

Primo

You might want to explore the final meat temp you prefer. I assume that you are cooking a flat only? If so, put the meat in when you start the grill. Stabilize to about 225 and go 10-14 hours. It varies by thickness, initial temp etc. For a bit moister result, take it off at 175. At 190-195, it gets drier but also more tender. If you cook a pork butt above it (on upper grill), the fat helps keep the brisket from drying out.

I start them the night before (8-10PM), take them off in the a.m. and wrap and store all day. Makes it easier to deal with guests, adult beverages, kids. dogs etc at dinner time.

Jim

Jim- I think that is the first time I have heard to put the meat on when you start the grill' date=' rather than when you have it stablized. Can you explain the technique?[/quote']

He has a Guru!! I always cook like that with a Guru (even on the metal cooker).

-=Jasen=-

Guys-

I put the meat on when I start the grill for several reasons. First. I don't have to reopen the KK and get a lung full of smoke. Second, I think that a gradual warm up for a brisket is a good idea (see Cooks Illustrated for pork chop recipe-admittedly on a skillet). Third, the greatest amount of smoke and hence smoke ring occurs early. I use a variety of charcoal but all seem to smoke a lot right after ignition and progressively less. Based on all the above, I find it works well and gives a nice result by putting everything in, lighting the charcoal and getting to the right temp.

BTW, I do it the same way whether I use the guru or not.

Jim