WoodieB

Lump in Utah

Hi All,

I figured I'd start a new thread rather than continue hijacking the "lump briquette" one.

So, first of all, thanks again to everyone for their help & suggestions.

Secondly, just got a note from Dennis saying my new OTB will be in the LA warehouse by today or tomorrow, and hopefully shipping soon after. Now it's not that far of a truck ride to Utah from LA, so I have high hopes of it getting here maybe even by next week!!

OK, so to the point. Got home from work last night, (I work a 14 day on, 14 day off rotation) and started calling around. So far, this is what I've found.

Casual BBQ (Thanks Porkchop) carries BGE brand lump. $21 for 20lb bag :shock:

Ace Hardware (Thanks Sanny) doesn't stock lump around here. :cry:

Then, I looked in the yellow pages, and called some local firewood supply places. I found one place that stocks mesquite lump, generic brand or whatever, he said he gets it from Mexico. $15 for 40lb :D

That seems to be the ticket, I'll just have to see what the quality turns out to be. Do you think the mesquite lump will be too strong flavored for everyday use, or in general if you don't add raw wood for smoke flavor, it will be fairly neutral?

Thanks,

WB

Woody, some like mesquite lump some don't. It does have a fairly strong flavor. I use it sometimes for grilling, but not usually for longer cooks.

It does snap-crackle-pop like a mutha though when you first light it. I think mesquite traps a fair amount of water even in the charcoal that's where the phenomenon comes from.

Woodie - Here in Central FL, a group of us buy the mesquite b y the pallet because we can get it cheap ($12 after tax for 40#). It is Lazzari brand (www.lazzari.com), which may be the same as what you were quoted.

I use it for everything, grilling, searing, roast, low, etc. I havent noticed any sort of strong flavor at all. As with any lump, the flavor imparted depends on how carbonized the batch happens to be. As the previous poster mentioned, sparking is possible with mesquite, and some bags sparked, and others have not. The sparking is not an issue when in the cooker, but can make a chimney starter a bit interesting.

Try the mesquite, and see what you think. You can add any smoke wood you want, just as with any other lump.

Cool, thanks for the tips, Jeff & Firemonkey. Hopefully the mesquite lump I'm going to get is Lazzari or similar.

FM, a question. Every review I've read about mesquite lump puts it's burn time as "low". Do you find you can do long (18-20 hr) cooks with one load of mesquite lump in your K? It is certainly the best bargain I've found here, can't believe a 20 lb bag of BGE lump is going for $21 before tax. I can mail order Wicked Good WW blend for about the same. But $15 for 40 lb. of the mesquite lump is more like it. I guess I should get a bag of everything I can find locally and see which one I like best.

WB

Absolutely get a bag of everything you have locally and make an informed decision.

I have used Wicked Good, both in the WW and the now unavailable competition blends. I have also used the Kamado lump (not extruded). Did I see much difference between the three - no. Was there some difference between those and mesquite - yes. Just not enough to justify the cost and difficulty getting it locally for me. The most notable difference was more in the density of the coal than flavors.

Mesquite burns hot and fast, that is a fact. However, you are using an insulated ceramic cooker, which also controls the fire by limiting the air allowed in. You can absolutely get 18-20 hours on a load of mesquite, and probably have some left over for next time. My #5 (smaller than a KK) mexiK can easily do an overnight cook on a load of mesquite. Since you KK will hold considerably more, you will have no problem. Just load it up with as much as you can the first time. Extra is no problem since you can shut it down and use the leftovers next time.

That's about standard for BGE, too. Before I found the Cowboy and store brand Royal Oak, I bought BGE for $20 for 20lbs. Plus tax. I was horrified that I was consigned to a lifetime of expensive cooking fuel! Then I discovered there were other brands available, and they were good and didn't cost as much. Whew!!

That's about standard for BGE' date=' too. Before I found the Cowboy and store brand Royal Oak, I bought BGE for $20 for 20lbs. Plus tax. I was horrified that I was consigned to a lifetime of expensive cooking fuel! Then I discovered there were other brands available, and they were good and didn't cost as much. Whew!![/quote']

It is expensive here too, but not that much. I bought a bag (once) for $15 (20lb). But considering Royal Oak from Walmart is the same stuff and can be had for around $5.50 (10lb), that is the better deal.

-=Jasen=-

Strong probably wasn't the best choice to describe mesquite charcoal, more like distinctive. But I can definitely taste the difference in using different kinds, not overpowering but different tastes.

I once bought a bag of BGE and after grilling something with it (don't remember what) my wife made me throw it out! She said it put a terrible aftertaste on the food, I couldn't really tell but she is the nose/taster. Now I don't think for most people there is anything wrong with BGE, but my wife has a super sensitive nose and taste buds. Plus, if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!! :lol::lol:

mesquite lump

Hi Greg,

Haven't tried Wild Oats yet, but I went by Standard Firewood yesterday and picked up 2 40# bags of mesquite lump. No brand name, just says "mesquite lump charcoal". I opened the top of one bag to look inside and it looks fine. Nice big pieces. Of course the chips and dust all settle to the bottom, so I can't tell how much there is until I dump it out.

Also ordered this: http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProd ... =CIC-00869

A bbq meat thermometer with a remote display and alarm. Supposedly the probe is good to 700 deg. Looks pretty cool.

Now I'm ready to cook, just waiting for my KK to arrive!

WB

Re: mesquite lump

Hi Greg,

Haven't tried Wild Oats yet, but I went by Standard Firewood yesterday and picked up 2 40# bags of mesquite lump. No brand name, just says "mesquite lump charcoal". I opened the top of one bag to look inside and it looks fine. Nice big pieces. Of course the chips and dust all settle to the bottom, so I can't tell how much there is until I dump it out.

Also ordered this: http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProd ... =CIC-00869

A bbq meat thermometer with a remote display and alarm. Supposedly the probe is good to 700 deg. Looks pretty cool.

Now I'm ready to cook, just waiting for my KK to arrive!

WB

Wow, never seen one that was good to 700 degrees :shock: My wife used to like her meat cooked to about 700, but I've learnt her that it's a lot better in the 140 range :D

Yup' date=' that'd be extree well done. Hopefully that means the probe cord, but I'll probably shield it with almuminum foil just for extra protection when I do my hi & slow special method, 18 hours at 700 deg. It's a low fat recipe :shock:[/quote']

Yep, that's the method the wife really loved :D