I’m preparing to ship this telescope to a remote observatory in New Mexico. It’s a Takahashi Banana (AKA Epsilon E-160ED) all tricked out for astrophotography. Just waiting on a new rotating focuser (to better frame my shots) to arrive. Once that’s installed and everything tuned up, off it goes and I fly out to install it. Once deployed I’ll be driving it from my home in Virginia, but it’s mostly automated.

IMG_2999.thumb.jpeg.ad79fe989f541f5b6c151bcb8bbb48c6.jpeg

One of my images taken with this scope in central VA (Bortle 4 skies). Once it’s in Bortle 1/2 New Mexico (and with better seeing) I’ll be hoovering photons at a ferocious rate. This is the “Ghost of Cassiopeia,” a nebula in…wait for it…Cassiopeia.

IC63_Original.thumb.jpeg.1f0baf9d2804fc1210f94d06c44689a9.jpeg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 3

Super cool!  I am guessing that all this expense means that you won't yet be allowed to add a pizza oven to your collection.  Or are you pulling an out-of-sight-out-of-mind trick on your wife by moving your expensive kit to New Mexico?

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Super cool!  I am guessing that all this expense means that you won't yet be allowed to add a pizza oven to your collection.  Or are you pulling an out-of-sight-out-of-mind trick on your wife by moving your expensive kit to New Mexico?

I have a propane Ooni that will have to suffice for now. I had contemplated building a roll-off roof observatory in my backyard, but it would be very expensive, and I'd have to fight the HOA. Renting space in New Mexico is cheaper, and I get about 200 clear nights per year in excellent sky conditions.

As I get closer to pulling the trigger on retirement, people are trying to convince me I'd get bored—utter nonsense. If anything, I have too many interests in food-related things, astronomy, etc. And then there's the University of Virginia down the road, which offers free auditing of classes to...<ahem> senior citizens. I don't think I have time for this silly work thing anymore.

• Haha 4

Jeff,

Cool and groovy!  Is that what you see when using too much hot sauce or putting some of that magic dust on your BBQ :-)  Great photos.

djami - northern Virginia where the skies do not look like that

1 hour ago, djami said:

djami - northern Virginia where the skies do not look like that

We migrated down to Crozet from Fairfax Station four years ago. We chose here partly due to the darker skies and partly (mainly) because NOVA is nuts. Bonkers. We spent 26 years there, and I get the shakes whenever I'm up that way again for a meeting. 

22 hours ago, Pequod said:

I have a propane Ooni that will have to suffice for now. I had contemplated building a roll-off roof observatory in my backyard, but it would be very expensive, and I'd have to fight the HOA. Renting space in New Mexico is cheaper, and I get about 200 clear nights per year in excellent sky conditions.

As I get closer to pulling the trigger on retirement, people are trying to convince me I'd get bored—utter nonsense. If anything, I have too many interests in food-related things, astronomy, etc. And then there's the University of Virginia down the road, which offers free auditing of classes to...<ahem> senior citizens. I don't think I have time for this silly work thing anymore.

You will love retirement, i have hobbies that keep me so busy i don't have time to do something stupid like getting a job lol

Edited by C6Bill
  • Haha 3

On 5/28/2024 at 9:54 AM, Pequod said:

We migrated down to Crozet from Fairfax Station four years ago. We chose here partly due to the darker skies and partly (mainly) because NOVA is nuts. Bonkers. We spent 26 years there, and I get the shakes whenever I'm up that way again for a meeting. 

Very good Pequod.  I am somewhat familiar with Crozet.  My parents lived in Charlottesville for a number of years.  Have friends in Fairfax Station ... and recently drove there with a friend who is real estate shopping.  House prices are crazy.

Since we should be talking BBQ here ... the KK will be smoking ribs tomorrow.  Should be a great day for BBQing tomorrow.

djami