Saucier

Starting fire for sear.

I am sure this is likely covered somewhere. But I haven’t seen it. I have had my KK for years, but only done steaks once. The rest low & slow etc.. When one is going to crank it up to the temperature of the sun, for a sear, I get that you light as much lump as possible..The question is, do you just leave the lid open and let it rip, or close it and open the damper on top way up? Or?   What’s the preferred methodology ?

Well, answered my own question, lit a load of lump with the BIG weed burner (250kbtu) then hit it with air.. closed lid, brought it to 600 and let it set about 30 min.. Then on lower sear grate, gave the filet 1 min on each side, then let it set on the flames with no lid to about 109 internal.. and pulled it.. Let it rest..

Perfection !  Yay!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Just don't leave the lid up for too long with that kind of heat; you'll damage the gaskets. Better to just open the top vent all the way and let'er rip that way. 

Easy solution for me, mine doesnt have any gaskets at the moment.. As soon as more is back in stock.. I shall own one!

• Sad 1