jdbower

Is your KK enough?

I'm sure Dennis knows that a smaller KK would be appreciated for when you need to maintain two temperatures (yeah, I know, you want to spend time with the baby - but this is important and you can always have another kid :)), but how about other cooking implements?

I'm thinking I'll keep my charcoal Weber for quick grilling, probably upgrading it to the Performer when my current kettle burns out. Of course when I light the Weber I have to let the charcoal burn out so maybe it would be easier to use the KK so I can smother the coals and reuse them...

Ideally I'd like a propane burner or two for boiling water or general use. If nothing else, when I was in Thailand they made some wonderful meals using a little propane-powered wok similar to this one - I'm guessing they didn't spend $200 on it, though.

A little fire pit would also be nice, mostly for warmth and ambiance but it's also sacrilege to make s'mores on anything but a real wood fire :)

The new house will have propane heat, hot water and stove; with any luck I can tap into the main tank for all of these rather than deal with a bunch of smaller tanks...

Anyone else have any auxiliary cooking devices around?

Re: Is your KK enough?

Of course when I light the Weber I have to let the charcoal burn out so maybe it would be easier to use the KK so I can smother the coals and reuse them...

Why is that? I use a weber smokey joe all the time and just shut the dampers, replace the lid, it smothers out just fine and I have plenty of coal for the next cook.

I would love a small KK as an addition too. I plan to keep my Smokey Joe to use for pork chops and steaks while the KK is chugging along doing my briskets, ribs and boston butts.

-=Jasen=-

Maybe I'll have to see if I can get the lid on a bit tighter. I've got a cheap One-Touch Silver kettle and when I shut everything off the coals still burn to ash.

Edit: Another big difference is I'm still using Kingsford fake charcoal (great, now I may be laughed off the site!), when I get some lump things may change for the better.

I have a one touch kettle, and can easily smother out the coals. Well, the last time I used it was a couple years ago, but back then, they smothered fine. Now it just stores accessories :wink:

Maybe your kingsford are just all burned up, assuming you ash them over fully before you cook? Some briquettes just dont hold together that well after burning.

I think that you will find that you use the KK for everything, unless you happen to have it full of ribs and get an itchin' for a burger - then maybe you break out the kettle. IF you have the gas ignition, or even just a small torch to ignite the lump, you can have your KK up and grilling way faster than the kettle anyway. Especially since you will likely have leftover lump in it already, too.

Edit: Another big difference is I'm still using Kingsford fake charcoal (great, now I may be laughed off the site!), when I get some lump things may change for the better.

I think using lump will make a big difference their. I mean the Smokey Joe I am using is the cheapest thing Weber makes and it chokes it out fine.

I use nothing but Royal Oak lump from Walmart and have no problems. It is also very easy to get it going. I dump in the charcoal (or re-use what is there) and hit it with a small propane torch. I am doing a high temp cook in 5 minutes, place the lid on for the finish dwell then close the dampers to choke it out.

Oh yeah, I agree with Firemonkey, my Weber will be put to bed unless I have a low / slow going on the KK and need to cook a steak or chops. Then I will break it out. At least until Dennis gets me a little KK.

-=Jasen=-

as always, i have to put my two cents in here with regards to a mini-KK.... PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :cry: *sniff* i look at all my neighbors cooking out, and i just hang my head....

as always' date=' i have to put my two cents in here with regards to a mini-KK.... PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :cry: *sniff* i look at all my neighbors cooking out, and i just hang my head....[/quote']

I think the problem is a mini wouldn't be much cheaper. But, if it would then I second PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :)

as always' date=' i have to put my two cents in here with regards to a mini-KK.... PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :cry: *sniff* i look at all my neighbors cooking out, and i just hang my head....[/quote']

I think the problem is a mini wouldn't be much cheaper. But, if it would then I second PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :)

Not sure if I'm giving up my Weber gasser and my Weber Smokey but a second KK (as in a mini) I third PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!