PrimoSand

how do you cook a Tri Tip on a KK

Can anyone help me out with a Tri Tip roast on a KK?

Can you tell me how long and at what dome temp and what internal temp to pull it?

Back in the day we used to cook them for about 50 to 60 min on a Weber but I have no idea what temp we used, it wasn't an issue back then, not running out of beer was our biggest problem.

thanks in advance for the help.

jb

Re: how do you cook a Tri Tip on a KK

Can anyone help me out with a Tri Tip roast on a KK?

Can you tell me how long and at what dome temp and what internal temp to pull it?

Back in the day we used to cook them for about 50 to 60 min on a Weber but I have no idea what temp we used, it wasn't an issue back then, not running out of beer was our biggest problem.

thanks in advance for the help.

jb

Just letting you know I am moving this post to the cooking techniques section since it is not a recipe.

BTW, I cook them like a steak and cut like London Broil. Fast high temp cook, dwell, rest and then slice across the grain at angle and slant (across the grain and at 45 instead of 90 degrees).

-=Jasen=-

Jasen,

Thanks for the help but when you say high temp .... how high and if you are cooking tri tip like a steak I guess there's no problem opening up the lid as needed to see if it's done ?

I have just enough good lump left over for this one last cook so I'd like to get it right. I've got two small tri tips marinating in teriyaki and another good marinade called Mamma's. I'll put them on tonight but have no idea how hot the cooker should be.

Again thanks for the help.

Jeff

I like to do my steaks and pork chops right over the charcoal (I have the sear grill) with lid open (did the same thing on my little weber). So I could not give you a temp, but really damn hot - hehe - as it is in the flames. I check doneness by feel, but usually around 60-90 seconds per side, then close her off and dwell to complete out the cook.

I really doubt the method is extremely important provided you pull it before it gets overcooked (medium). I personally think that on tougher cuts, the way you slice it is the most important thing. Flank steak, skirt steaks, London broil, brisket and the such, I always cut across the grain and knife at 45 degrees so you minimize grain length segments.

I cooked a skirt steak last night for fajitas. I will post some pics of the cook. Unfortunately I did not get any post cut pics; just as soon as I sliced into it, primal instincts kicked in and it got devoured.

-=Jasen=-

I was recently watching an episode of Good Eats, where Alton was cooking some of the less then premium steak cuts (sirloin, skirt, etc.) His technique for these cuts was opposite what we typically do when cooking steaks.

He actually started at low temp, and worked up the sear, to get a nice crust. The show was using an oven broiler for this episode, but the same thing should be very easy to do in your KK.

They started with the broiler rack in the bottom of the grill, and cooked a sirloin steak for a few minutes per side, then moved it up and did a few minutes per side on the next higher slot, finishing with it right under the broiler.

Just something to consider...

I was recently watching an episode of Good Eats, where Alton was cooking some of the less then premium steak cuts (sirloin, skirt, etc.) His technique for these cuts was opposite what we typically do when cooking steaks.

He actually started at low temp, and worked up the sear, to get a nice crust. The show was using an oven broiler for this episode, but the same thing should be very easy to do in your KK.

They started with the broiler rack in the bottom of the grill, and cooked a sirloin steak for a few minutes per side, then moved it up and did a few minutes per side on the next higher slot, finishing with it right under the broiler.

Just something to consider...

Just curious, Alton always gives reasons for his techniques, that is why I love that show. What was the reasoning behind this method?

-=Jasen=-

Cook's Illustrated did the same thing for a thick steak. Said that trying to get a char first ended up with raw in the middle, then overcooked grey meat just inside the crust. The "Maillard reaction" responsible for deep color and rich meaty flavor of well-browned crust, occurs at temps closer to 300 degrees. Internal temp for medium rare is 130. When beef reaches temps about 140, chemical changes cause it to toughen and dry out.

Cold steak in a hot pan can take r minutes per side to form a good crust, during which time the meat beneath the crust is overcooking.

CI eventually came up with dry steaks, seasoned as usual, straight from fridge into a 275 degree oven. After 25 mins (internal 95), then seared. Beautiful brown crusts in less than 4 minutes, and the inside was pink and tender. No grey meat.

(May 2007 Cook's Illustrated)

Outdoor grilled tri-tip was in Cook's Country June/July 2007.

Cook's Illustrated did the same thing. Said that trying to get a char first ended up with raw in the middle' date=' then overcooked grey meat just inside the crust. So, gently cook to get the inside where you want it, then do the quick crust. I'll try to find the article.[/quote']

That does make sense. Also, a lot of times during your dwell, the great crispies get a little less crispy, so that would help them out too. Definitely trying this - Hmmm - I have a ribeye to cook tonight! Cool!

I think the reason most folks char first, then dwell is the popular thought that it seals the moisture in. But it seems I read somewhere that is wrong.

-=Jasen=-

Trying a tri on my new KK

So I've done hundreds of tris in my lifetime, however, this will be my first attempt on a KK. I usually do these on a Weber Kettle like this doing a reverse sear at the end:

th_KobeII036.jpg

In the KK I was thinking of doing her in-direct on the top grate with a foiled pan under her, probably around 300 - 325ish. Then remove, remove the pan, crank the heat-up and reverse sear her. Any thoughts, suggestions, tweaks or just a better process?

Thanks in advance, cedar planked salmon tomorrow night :wink:

simple

Get a really hot fire going, don't worry about the exact temp. Open the top and bottom dampers wide open. Put the sear grill on the charcoal basket handles. Put a heat deflector on the sear grill. Put the Tri-Tip up on the main grill and cook indirect, with the KK lid closed, with a thermometer until it hits your target temp. Open the lid, remove the Tri-Tip and the main grill. Take off the heat defector and sear the Tri-Tip on the sear grill. You're done. No need to fool with the fire, just get it good and hot and leave it that way.