Porkchop

Happy 4th of July!

Umm....I think he meant the aircraft carrier, USS Kitty Hawk.

But I dig where you're coming from Turtle. I'm way into UNpowered flight, having been flying paragliders for about 7 years. It's pretty amazing how far things have progressed both in powered and unpowered flight.

Here's a shot I took in Feb. of this year, flying in a comp in the Dominican Republic. That a good friend of mine out ahead of me. We are in route on a 30 mile triangle flight, most of it at or near cloudbase. Awesome day.

img4705ky4.th.jpg

DOH! The boat! :silent::sign6:

Those are some cool pics. 30 miles!! How do you stay clear of the Cesnas? :shock: I used to instruct in gliders (the hard wing, glass windshield variety) and we would ride mountain wave to 12,000 (No O2.) That was back before I really knew how many general aviation planes are out there. :D

Umm....I think he meant the aircraft carrier, USS Kitty Hawk.

But I dig where you're coming from Turtle. I'm way into UNpowered flight, having been flying paragliders for about 7 years. It's pretty amazing how far things have progressed both in powered and unpowered flight.

Here's a shot I took in Feb. of this year, flying in a comp in the Dominican Republic. That a good friend of mine out ahead of me. We are in route on a 30 mile triangle flight, most of it at or near cloudbase. Awesome day.

img4705ky4.th.jpg

DOH! The boat! :silent::sign6:

Those are some cool pics. 30 miles!! How do you stay clear of the Cesnas? :shock: I used to instruct in gliders (the hard wing, glass windshield variety) and we would ride mountain wave to 12,000 (No O2.) That was back before I really knew how many general aviation planes are out there. :D

We kind of operate on the "Big sky, needle in a haystack theory" I've never heard of a collision between a foot launched aircraft (hang or paraglider) and a GA plane. I've had small planes come within a few thousand feet of me, and have heard and read some close call stories, but in general it's a pretty remote chance. Of course we have to respect restricted airspace & obey air law, as we operate under FAR103 (for the moment anyway) Salt Lake and the Wasatch Mtns. offers some outstanding paragliding. In the fall, when cloudbase goes to the moon, we are regularly thermaling to 14000-16000', and on the good days to to 18 grand. Carrying a small O2 bottle on the super high cloudbase days, but since I live at 5200' and hike & mtn. bike at 10,000 quite a bit, I go to 14-14500 on my glider without O2. Here are a couple of more shots from the DR from the 2006 competition.

img2435og8.th.jpg

img2436bs2.th.jpg

We kind of operate on the "Big sky, needle in a haystack theory" I've never heard of a collision between a foot launched aircraft (hang or paraglider) and a GA plane. I've had small planes come within a few thousand feet of me, and have heard and read some close call stories, but in general it's a pretty remote chance. Of course we have to respect restricted airspace & obey air law, as we operate under FAR103 (for the moment anyway) Salt Lake and the Wasatch Mtns. offers some outstanding paragliding. In the fall, when cloudbase goes to the moon, we are regularly thermaling to 14000-16000', and on the good days to to 18 grand. Carrying a small O2 bottle on the super high cloudbase days, but since I live at 5200' and hike & mtn. bike at 10,000 quite a bit, I go to 14-14500 on my glider without O2. Here are a couple of more shots from the DR from the 2006 competition.

img2435og8.th.jpg

img2436bs2.th.jpg

My hats off to you! That is some real seat of the pants flying. I'm too faint of heart to go above 10' AGL without TCAS.