CHILE

Hi from Florida

Hi everybody I've been looking around and doing a little posting I don't own a ceramic cooker yet just getting info on all the different makes,I started on a square charcoal grill years ago moved to up to brinkman offset, had Klose pit , Traeger pellet , now I have a Cajun grill and a cheap offset that eats lump up . But from all I've read the ceramic cooker is for me I'm looking that good flavor, I want something that smokes,grills and to make pizza on I like hot food , beer and BBQ well enough boring stuff a beer is calling my name

Re: Hi from Florida

...and a cheap offset that eats lump up...

Speaking of lump consumptiom, I loaded my KK up Friday night and started the fire about 8:30pm. I cooked 2 butts that were done by about 10:00am'ish and since the company was coming at 1:00pm Sat for the 4th of July lunch I just let it stay lit at the 200-250ish temp it was on. So we cooked burgers and dogs at 450ish and then I opened it up and forgot it for a hour or more to let all the grease burn off from the butts, thinking it would just burn the remaining fuel and start cooling down. So it burned full out for awhile, I didn't monitor the temp but know it gets up there when left open like that. But I ended up closing it down because it was remaining pretty high. Company left at about 6:00pm and the temp was still at 400 degrees, so I could have cooked different loaves of bread for 4 hours or so just on the heat still in the KK.

I haven't looked to see if there's much lump left after all that, kinda doubt it, but I'd say you can almost pay for the KK on lump savings if you cook a lot :shock:

Curly that's what talking about that amazing on one load of lump sometime I could all most go threw 20lbs to do a 8lb butt 225-250 cooking range not very fuel friendly

Yep, and trust me...at 225 or so, and after it get's heat-soaked, it will last a lot longer. It's when you open it up that it starts to really use the fuel.

Yeah, Welcome Chile, great recipes

I was really stunned at the efficiency of my KK. I put a load of lump mesquite in, maybe 6 lb. or so. Let it preheat an hour or so and stablilize at 220-230, put on 14.5 lb. of butt, cooked it 24 1/2 hours at that temp, and there was still a few pieces left. Absolutely awesome. One nice thing too is that long slow cooks are best with mostly big chunks, but you can use the smaller pieces for those 750 deg. steak sears. I don't think I'd ever had a truly seared steak until I got my KK to 750-800, let the 3/8" sear grill get nice & hot, then hit those puppies at 90 sec a side over the "foundry", shut'er down & moved them to the side for a couple of minutes. Outstanding!

Y... One nice thing too is that long slow cooks are best with mostly big chunks' date=' but you can use the smaller pieces for those 750 deg. steak sears... [/quote']

I've always heard the opposite is the normal thought, the small pieces are better for the low-n-slows and the larger for the hotter cooks. I don't do anything other than dump the lump in and cook anymore though, I quit worrying about size or where to start the lump, top or bottom or builing the perfect lump stack. It just seems fail proof no matter how it's done.

Oh, and by the way, I check the KK when I got home from work and there is still enough lump for cooking a meal tonight.

I think I'll have to adopt your method, Curly. Just dump & go.

I got my "big on bottom, small on top" info somewhere, I think the BGE site. For my steak sears, I used the smaller stuff. I think it just proves what you said, it doesn't much matter, just "set it and forget it".

Oh no, you don't think that someday there will be a "Popeil Pocket Kamado & smokeless ashtray" do you? I can see the infomercials now. "Not $2999.99, not $2499.99, not even $1999.99, just 24 easy payments of $61.46!!!!!! (Shipping and handling not included, $2500 extra) :shock: