mctoo

Hello From Chicago Area

Hi, I have been lurking for a while but waited to post until I purchased.

I was going to buy a Big Green Egg when Internet research brought me to the Mexi K site. Epinion reviews stopped me from purchasing a #7 Mexi K.

I stumbled on this forum and purchased a KK.

I went back and forth between the OTB and the Classic and a textured vs. tiled.

I liked the symmetry of the Classic and the Cloud Blue on Sale won me over. It looks great on my patio.

I added some pictures of the cooker on my patio and of the first cook last weekend. The ribs were great.

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

Thanks All

Living in the woods is great until the leaves start falling. At least we will never run out of wood chunks.

No armadillos yet but trips to Lockhart Texas did inspire me to find a better way to BBQ.

I wish I had more experience with ceramics as I would have been eating better BBQ longer.

In my quest for a BGE I came across this old Kamado Pot on Craigslist. An old Air Force vet brought it back from Japan in 1972. He fired it once to season it and decided to move. He put it in storage for 34 years.

It was in too good of shape to pass up for the price he wanted.

Cockatoo

Welcome to the club' date=' Mctoo! What do you have in your avatar? Is that a moluccan or citron? I used to have amoluccan, and still have a couple of scars to rimind me who was boss. :lol:[/quote']

Hi Firemonkey, She is a Moluccan. I figured I would use one Indonesian beauty to represent another.

Luckily she doesn't bite but she is the boss. She is not from the wilds of Indonesia but was hatched and hand reared down near you in Alabama.

Now it I could just get her to not scream.

Re: Cockatoo

Luckily she doesn't bite but she is the boss.

Just let her watch a few rotisserie sessions with poultry and see if she quiets down :twisted:

That research phase of BGE --> MexiK --> KK sounds awfully familiar... :roll:

Welcome aboard!

Now it I could just get her to not scream.

Ha! Mine could bellow the trademark screech like nobodys business. You know the one...The fast paced HA-HA-HA-HA :D Now, I knew it was loud as hell when he did it in in the mornings, but one day I walked teh dog around the block, and could hear it 2 houses away, with the windows closed :shock:

Just let her watch a few rotisserie sessions with poultry and see if she quiets down

They are too smart for their own good, but Im not sure that would work. I was eating wings one day, and commented to mine that he would meet the same fate if he didnt behave. I gestured with the drumette and he reached out with his foot to grab it. I gave him the bone after I had eaten it, and he proceeded to clean it like it was going to displayed in a museum. Wings were one of his favorite foods!

Re: Cockatoo

Luckily she doesn't bite but she is the boss.

Just let her watch a few rotisserie sessions with poultry and see if she quiets down :twisted:

Welcome aboard!

Unfortunately like Firemonkey's nothing scares this bird not even a 100lb Chocolate lab. She rules the roost.

Welcome Mctoo---------- That was my path, but insert at the beginning the desire for a really nice tin gasser to upgrade from my Weber Genesis.... REALLY glad I found my way here! :smt026

I actually purchased a Weber Summit Gold D6 in November. Weber is headquarted about 20 minutes from my house and I have an inside connection who got me an employee discount. I have the Summit and an old 22 1/2" One Touch Gold Kettle. I really like the Webers and each has a purpose. The D6 does a great job for the quick weeknight dinner, very wife friendly. I have even smoked some things on it and they turned out ok. Not as good as on the KK but with the dedicated smoker box and rotisserie it was passable. The size of the D6 is also great for parties. The plan for future parties is the main entree on the KK and the sides etc. on the D6.

Ha! Mine could bellow the trademark screech like nobodys business. You know the one...The fast paced HA-HA-HA-HA :D Now' date=' I knew it was loud as hell when he did it in in the mornings, but one day I walked teh dog around the block, and could hear it 2 houses away, with the windows closed[/quote']

Yes, I am sure the neighbors love her as much as we do. :wink:

They are too smart for their own good' date=' but Im not sure that would work. I was eating wings one day, and commented to mine that he would meet the same fate if he didnt behave. I gestured with the drumette and he reached out with his foot to grab it. I gave him the bone after I had eaten it, and he proceeded to clean it like it was going to displayed in a museum. Wings were one of his favorite foods![/quote']

Mine loves Pizza and cheese. I steer clear of meat due to the smell in the cage the next day. :eek: She is unbelieveably smart and Superman strong. She spends all her time trying to break out and dismantled a heavy steel California Cage.

They are indeed too smart at times. I had to keep a lock on my cage, to keep mine inside, and even that sometimes wasnt enough. It was a heavy key operated master lock - the kind you would use on a shed or something. The key was kept on top of the cage, which had a solid roof. If it was left too close to the edge, the bird would get the key down, carry it down to the lock, insert the key, unlock it, unhook the lock from the latch and drop it on the floor. Then he would open the clasp on the cage, step onto the door, push off with the other foot and ride the door as it swung open :eek: Then he would raise his crest and look at you like "what do you think of that?"

I still have a double yellow head, and I dont think she is quite as smart.

They are indeed too smart at times. I had to keep a lock on my cage, to keep mine inside, and even that sometimes wasnt enough. It was a heavy key operated master lock - the kind you would use on a shed or something. The key was kept on top of the cage, which had a solid roof. If it was left too close to the edge, the bird would get the key down, carry it down to the lock, insert the key, unlock it, unhook the lock from the latch and drop it on the floor. Then he would open the clasp on the cage, step onto the door, push off with the other foot and ride the door as it swung open :eek: Then he would raise his crest and look at you like "what do you think of that?"

I still have a double yellow head, and I dont think she is quite as smart.

That sounds very familiar. I bet Houdini had a Moluccan as a pet when he was a kid.

We have a colony af about 100 cockatoos in the reserve backing onto out backyard. After about 9 years we don't notice the ecreeching int the morning or evenings anymore but visitors do!!! :eek:

Anyway most of our neigbours consider the to be big white peste since they tend to demolish our wooden handrails (notice the beek on those buggers!) :evil:

I don't mind them as long as you don't feed them they tend to stay away from your railings I find...

We have a colony af about 100 cockatoos in the reserve backing onto out backyard. After about 9 years we don't notice the ecreeching int the morning or evenings anymore but visitors do!!! :eek:

Anyway most of our neigbours consider the to be big white peste since they tend to demolish our wooden handrails (notice the beek on those buggers!) :evil:

I don't mind them as long as you don't feed them they tend to stay away from your railings I find...

They are built to destroy. She can turn a 2x4 into toothpicks in a matter of minutes. Now you know why it is so important she doesn't escape while we are not home.