Amphoran

Authentic Limoncello

1 liter of Everclear alcohol

10-12 medium to large lemons

1 1/2 liters of water (6 1/3 cups)

3 lbs of sugar (6 1/2 cups)

Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rinds off of the lemons so there is no white pith on the peel. Place the rind-peelings in a large container with the Everclar alcohol. Cover the container and let it sit for seven days.

On the eight day, strain the the peels from alcohol; discard peels.

In a large saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining the water and sugar; let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Let simple syrup cool to room temperature. Add to alcohol.

You are now finished and can drink it right away.

NOTE: This same recipe works for arancello also. Use 10 large oranges.

Makes about 2 1/2 liters.

I've been using this recipe for years, and it is fantastic.

NEVER ice limoncello; keep it in the freezer and drink it at freezer temperature. The Everclear (95% ethanol) is essential. May recipes have been published that use vodka, and it simply cannot extract enough of the flavors, and it ends up too weak to give that wonderful spreading sensation of warmth that comes about halfway through the shot glass.

Enjoy!

Mike

Re: Authentic Limoncello

Enjoy!

Mike

Hi Mike, liked the look of this recipe... 8)

However did some googling and figure you can't get it in Oz (and only in some states in the US?) :(

Ah well have to use vodka...

Re: Authentic Limoncello

Enjoy!

Mike

Hi Mike, liked the look of this recipe... 8)

However did some googling and figure you can't get it in Oz (and only in some states in the US?) :(

Ah well have to use vodka...

You prolly won't even get a buzz, I think that everclear is 180 proof or more.

But just drink more, maybe it'll happen for you.

Yes, Sanny's right. Everclear is a common brand name (at least in the Western States) for 190 proof (95% ABV) grain alcohol.

A common name in Europe is "Polish Spirit". I don't know about its availability in OZ, but you could ask at a liquor store.

There are quite a few liqueurs that simply cannot be made without it, because it is a much more efficient solvent than 40-50% ethanol (aka vodka). Limoncello is one of them. The vodka-based recipes produce a pleasant beverage, but it is not limoncello!

Cheers,

Mike

I keep little flute glasses in the freezer on the door, near the bottle. Grab glass, bottle, pour, put the bottle back for next time. :)

In fact, now I think of it, the bottle of limoncello I bought CAME with the glasses. And they really are perfect. Of course, have to fill them several times. :wink: But they're the right size that the liqueur is still cold by the time I get to the bottom of the glass (and need more).

WOW!

This stuff is FANTASTIC!

Great deep lemon flavor, and nice warm burn on the way down. This stuff could be addicting. :lol::shock::wink:

Thanks for the great recipe Amphoran!

I was telling a friend about this, and he said he had an old family recipe from Lithuania. They usually have it at Christmas. I will start a thread on it!

Thanks again!

Hmm

I see why this stuff tastes sooooo great! I had made a double batch of Everclear/lemon. But this week when it was time to mix er up, I only made a single batch of simple syrup!

We are deciding if we should leave er as it is or cut it back as the recipe calls for...

And now!! That I have my 4L container available again, I am going to try it with oranges!

If my typing goes to hell, you will know I have been sampling too much :):tongue2: