NOBIV

KK vs. BGE

Re: The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat.

BTW, sounds like your in the ceramic game, what are you currently cooking with? Glad to have you aboard! Got any great recipes? Love to have them in the recipe section if so.

-=Jasen=-

I bought a BGE this spring and have been thrilled with it. So far I haven't invented any new recipes but have been amazing my friends and family with simple stuff like $.69/pound chicken simply rubbed and cooked direct at 350o - my dad who's a total curmudgeon actually asked to be invited back next time we make it!

The KK looks like an amazing piece of hardware and I'm glad that this forum is a "friendly" as opposed to that other place.

Cool. Nothing at all wrong with a BGE. Careful mentioning curmudgeon as our local representative (Gerard) might think you mean him - hehe. Which by chance is also the owner of a BGE (well, either that or a Primo).

It is amazing what ceramics do for food, isn't it? I never had a worthy brisket till I made one with ceramics. And you are right about chicken, makes it fantastic!

We have people that own all sorts of cookers here. The thing about it is everyone can learn from others, no matter the cooker. So all are welcome here (even non ceramics - though we will tease gassers).

-=Jasen=-

Gregg, what does he lumpsaver do? did you read the trib today? My wife finally made it in the press, and on the front page too! where was I? cutting down an oak that had landed on our garage roof!(along with filling the generators with gas) You guys ok over there in napertown?Lots of trees down, and some flooding, can't imagine what living through Katrina was like.

Re: The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat.

The Komodo held in an average of 65% more heat. That just has to affect the outcome of your cook.

;)

Actually, I think not. The efficiency of the cooker will definitely affect your charcoal usage but not necessarily the radiant heat hitting your food.

Grades of ceramic most likely have less outcome on the food's flavor.

One thing I've wondered is if "more ceramic" would take longer for the cooker to come up to temp. KK has come up with a very clever solution by doing that bi material thing.

I don't think that any flavor is from the ceramic but from the fuel, smoke, rubs and the meat.

The high R factor and low airflow results in high humidity. This results in your meat retaining more moisture. And that does affect the outcome of your cook.

More ceramic material would of course need more fuel to heat soak the walls to come to thermal mass.. the point where they give off heat and you can burn less fuel to maintain the same temperature. The problem with the thick walls are that it takes a long time to reduce your cooking temperature.

Thanks for the kudos on my bi layer design..

It's why KK's are more efficient than all other ceramic type cookers.

Welcome to the forum..

primeats question

The lumpsaver is the stainless basket device to contain the charcoal. It replaced a "ceramic" dish in the botom of my K7.

Weather was not too bad in Naperville, though the rain has caused the mosquito population to soar. My next outdoor project will be a bat house. They eat mosquitos at a prodigous clip.

When Dennis gets the extruded charcaol on the water, I have a few Chicago folks who are (delighted because we were stiffed on an order from the other guys) but still interested in a group charcoal buy. Are you inclined? If so please PM me.

Lastly, I just looked at your profile. I work in Lake Forest, so Wilmette is not too far away. Two things, 1) do you have a KK? I'd like to see one in person 2) When can I place an order for my Xmas prime rib?

greggd