NOBIV

KK vs. BGE

Having made the trek from Weber Genesis to BGE (Large) and having stumbled upon this grill and other such "nuggets" from the NakedWhiz website, I am curious if others have used both (KK and BGE) and could offer up some differences.....

Thank you,

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Think of the BGE like a Toyota; cheap, reliable, ubiquitous and it gets you where you need to go. The KK is like a Maybach; an elite thing of beauty that looks great and gets you where you want to go in comfort and luxury. A BGE is a very nice ceramic cooker and has the benefit of a nationwide (worldwide?) chain of stores that can provide parts and service. A KK, on the other hand, has a single point of contact that you can order whatever you need and you've got a much more personal relationship with the company. A KK also has much better insulating properties which means that they're more efficient at keeping the temperature constant with less coal. Finally, Big Green Egg made their name by making an ugly cooker in whatever color you wanted (as long as it was green) that stands out at BBQs but performs very well. KK's are much easier on the eyes and perform even better ;)

Both cook fairly well with the KK's more even heat and more efficient thermals providing a slight edge, but KK is a much more friendly and personal company and looks much better on your patio.

i own a KK, and have cooked on BGE a couple times, at various temp ranges. some things to consider...

1) hinge - the KK spring-loaded hinge is great! i consider it to also be a safety feature. if your fire gets away from you, you can just let go of the handle, and no damage done. you would have to compare this to the XL BGE. that hinge is kinda weird. it's spring-loaded as well, but is awkward. i don't like it at all.

2) cost - when you look at all the "extras" that you'll actually need with the BGE, you'll be spending more than the ticket price. its still lower than the KK, but not by a bunch. when i bought my KK, there wasn't any difference, plus i would have had to load it up in my car and cart it home, rather than have it dropped off by a truck. my advice, if the difference in cost is an issue, save your bones up a little longer and get the KK.

3) construction - while "heavier" doesn't necessarily mean "better" (like some other "ceramic" cement cookers), my limited experience with BGE seems to bear out that the KK does insulate better, holds in the heat, and is more fuel efficient than the BGE. not by a ton, but appreciable.

BOTH cookers are great. they will do hot cooks, and overnite low-n-slow cooks. for comparable grill space, you'll need to compare the KK with the XL BGE. there are other features that the KK has over the BGE that i've left out for the sake of brevity. bottom line, I chose the KK, and i have a BGE dealership here in town!

good luck in your decision. regardless, WELCOME! i DO dig the BGE... i just like my KK a little better :wink:

I own a KK and we do not have too many BGE down-under (or KK's for that matter). One of the comments I ALWAYS get from the females that visit is that: "it's a work of art" or "how beautiful is that BBQ" :D

Love cooking on it and it delivers some of the best BBQ I've had (again I can't compare with a BGE).

I have had my KK about a month now and happened to look at a BGE yesterday while in a BBQ store. I had not looked at a BGE in several years and was just curious. The first thing I noticed was how primitive the hinge design seemed to me. The next thing I noticed once opened was the actual grill which seems very low-end compared to the 3/8 stainless that came with my OTB ultimate. Their grill is not stainless and the grids seemed small. I wondered if there would be warpage on high temp cooks, as well as loss of the coating on the grill. Since I have never cooked on a BGE, these are impressions only and I would defer to the experience of those who have cooked on the BGE. I would concur it is more of a mass market product, but the sophistication and functional design clearly favor the KK.

Interesting that I asked the salesman if they sold a lot of the BGE and he said they sold quite a few and that the buyers come back and buy lots of accessories and seem content. What caught my ear was that he said the buyers come back and buy lots of accessories, although I did not pay attention to what came standard and what was an accessory.

My suggestion to you is to define what type of consumer you are. Do you prefer basic standard models of products where lowest price is the biggest consideration or do you prefer products to be deluxe models that might have good value for the extra features offered.

If one could tell by the posters on this forum, most that have purchased a KK seem to be well informed consumers looking for a quality product and good customer service. You are starting off right by researching your purchase.

The thing I never liked about a BGE is the top damper, instead of it being screwed in it just sits on top and every time you opened it it fell off. Also the one that comes standard had no adjustment just a solid lid that you rested at an angle to get the proper air flow. Very primitive compared to the KK. I have to admit I haven't used one in a long time and maybe they have fixed this.

so let me ask the million dollar question, Mr. Whiz...

Given that you have several grills from various manufacturers on your patio, an a full buffet of lump in your garage, what has emerged as your "go-to" grill? Which do you use more often? Any particular lump you prefer?

:D:lol:

Now, dont try to deflect with "each has their own specialty..." You have to have a favorite - what is it?

I usually use my large Egg. (I have 3 eggs, 1 KK) but I'm trying to use the KK more. I like having lots of room. The small egg is almost exclusively for the charcoal burn/ash testing, and the medium egg is almost exclusively for the max temp testing. (I'm too lazy to clean them out after cooking so I can run a test, lol) As for charcoal, I have so much lying around, I use whatever is in front.

I saw a large BGE about 18 months ago. If Dennis charged twice as much for his Q, then it would still be a much better deal, imo. But, that is just based on in person looks. One looked like a work of art and quality--Dennis' Q--and the other wasn't bad except in comparison. Very glad I stumbled upon Dennis, first!

I never cooked on or tasted food prepared using a BGE so it may cook fantastic. I know the Q cooks fantastic and even bought a second updated one. :) Also, Dennis stands 100% behind his Q which was a very pleasant shock to me.

I don't think the comparison really can be applied to the food itself, I think the ceramics as a group can be compared on features, size, ease of use, style/looks, price, and the all important product reliability/customer service. Beyond that it becomes an issue of cooking techniques, expertise, recipes and ingredients.