kenstl

Area needed around a KK

Hi everyone. I am intrigued by the KK and ceramic cooking and the timing is right as I am building a new grill area off of my deck. My question revolves around the amount of space needed around a KK, the heat that it puts off (which appears to be minimal) and the amount of area needed to be "safe" in case of a back-draft?

I have a screened in porch on one side, and my vinyl sided house on the other, with a 9' length area in between in which I intend to build a raised platform that butts up to my existing deck. The plan would be to put 18" between the screened porch and the KK, and then I will have a built in counter that runs over to the house that will hold a gas grill/searing unit in it. (not sure if I can go KK solo!)

I think I am far enough away from the house for any issues, but I am wondering if 18" or 24" is enough from the screened in porch. The wood is IPE, so it is pretty fire resistant, I am more concerned about the screens and general heat.

I will try to post a picture.

Let me know you thoughts or if any of you have your unit close to structures. I would have not problem putting a gas grill here, but probably would not do a traditional weber pit due to the lighting of the charcoal, but a KK?

Thanks,

Ken

Area needed around a KK

Here is a photo. (a little dark, maybe I can get a better photo as the area looks small in the photo). The area the area that I plan to build on is where the gas grill is sitting.

A raised platform 9' x 30" will be built up to deck level. The first half from the screened in porch to the house will be a platform (hopefully for a future KK), and the second half will be a built in cabinet/grilling area with a small gas grill in it.

222482343-S.jpg

Area needed around a KK

Thanks Trish, good thought. the back of the house you see faces East, so most of the wind is from the south or sw most of the time, at least in the warmer months. My neighbor might get smoked out! I am a little concerned about smoke is the porch area, but I think I am ok on the home entry.

I have a screened sunroom with vinyl windows (think stretchy plastic) that can be closed during the rain. My cookers are just a couple feet away, and there is NO chance of getting too much heat there.

The previous owner had a gas grill in almost the same spot, and that DID cause the nearby window to show signs of melting.

As someone above previously mentioned, your concern is not going to be heat, but smoke entering the house. Smoke will blow through any open windows, or the door when you enter/exit depending on wind direction. It can even enter through your vented soffit when there is no wind, if you are too close to the house. Not a big caution, but an inconvenience that can be avoided since you are in the planning phase.

I have my KK ~ 15" from the wall of my home and it does not even get warm to the touch. Ensure that you have enough area to open the lid of the KK.

Smoke can be an issue, especially with cheap charcoal. I tend to use BGE charcoal and it burns very cleanly with very little visible smoke. However, I also got some bargain brand stuff and there was heavy smoke all over the place.

The lump can smoke, especially upon start-up, but then you add the smoke wood at times for flavoring. My BBQ is located on a side yard, and if I forget to close the side garage door (my access point) the smoke smell gets into my garage. I have even smelled it inside the sealed car days later. I highlysuggest you give the smoke issue considerable thought.

If you have plans on making your grill/outdoor kitchen area covered, there are exhaust hood/fan solutions that could solve the smoke situation.

Like everyone else said, heat is not much of an issue as you can touch the outside of a KK. Look at dome clearance on the rear of the grill when open (not a huge foot print). Also not sure how you are building the deck, but support for the large weight and roller type wheels. Also anytime you are using a charcoal grill on a wood deck, keep fire safety in mind when designing (even though Dennis includes an ash screen, a grill mat might not be a bad idea on wood). Another interesting idea would be a wood deck with a recessed area for the grill where pavers/stones could be laid to make the height back up.

-=Jasen=-

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Drunk J, good thought on the decking. The main deck is IPE, but I plan on covering the grilling area floor with stone or tile. It sound like there will not be any heat issues to worry about, just smoke for the most part. Know I just have to round up the $$ for a KK vs a grill dome ;)