DennisLinkletter

AU Wagyu Wanna be Redux

Well it was not the produce I found the first time I stumbled across extremely marbled beef ribs from the land of Oz but the large specks were still there and I just could not leave it be..

Wagyu.jpg

Wagyu1.jpg

It had a layer of muscle on top and a thick relatively hard layer of fat below it.. I of course asked myself, "What would Dave do?" So I cut and peeled back the top layer of muscle..

Wagyu2.jpg

And then cut the thick fat layer in half and removed it..

Wagyu4.jpg

This shot shows how thin it was..

(Yes I was a bit proud of myself)

Wagyu5.jpg

Then I rubbed it down with beef bullion cubes, a lil' Worcestershire, some balsamic V and my beef rub.. Then threw the thin layer of fat on top to ensure it would not dry out.

Wagyu6.jpg

When I went outside my Akita stole the fat off the top.. so I never found out how that would have worked but in hindsight.. it did not need it at all..

Wagyu7.jpg

A couple of big chunks of good old hickory, 5 hours at 225º.. Pulled it at 150º top layer and 130º above the bone.. The photos say it all..

Wagyu8.jpg

The most rare pieces were so tender they fell apart in your mouth.. with warm gush of what seemed like beefy, buttery pudding, as rich as foie gras.

Wagyu9.jpg

Wagyu10.jpg

Damn.. I've eaten more good Q in the last 4 years than in my whole life!

I've never tasted anything like this..

:eek::eek::eek:

It's exactly what Dave would have done.I probably would have cut a larger "sample " portion from the top! Usually I would have not grilled the first layer of lean meat from the short rib section, seeing that this was Wagyu, I may have done just as you had! I'm gonna try this myself this weekend with some plain old prime beef.The camera is thawed out enough to work,or I'll try my cell phone!

It's exactly what Dave would have done.I probably would have cut a larger "sample " portion from the top! Usually I would have not grilled the first layer of lean meat from the short rib section' date=' seeing that this was Wagyu, I may have done just as you had! I'm gonna try this myself this weekend with some plain old prime beef.The camera is thawed out enough to work,or I'll try my cell phone![/quote']

This was not sold as Wagyu.. I just thought it sorta had that over the top marbled look. Actually all the Wagyu I've ever seen had very small pinpoint marbling.. This was also $3.20 per lb. That's why I called it Wagyu wanna be..

How would you prepare the lean top layer?

;);)

:D Scouterpf and Mrs Scouter enjoyed 2" medium rare prime Black Angus strip steak that the local Wegmans (real name of a top notch super market ((Wegmans.com))) over Valentines evening along with fresh green beans and wine!! NO images .... too many other things on our minds. Never had better anywhere!

Prime and Sanny lick your lips in anticipation should you ever visit Rochester, NY.

Wegmans is nice, but kinda like a grocery on steroids here in NOVA. Whole Foods is my venue of choice, all non growth hormone, non antibiotic tainted meats, most grainfed or free ranged. Picked up two organic chickens, two racks of St Louis cut ribs and some frenched new zealand lamb chops last night. Planning on a busy several days of test cooking!

DMAX

Agreed. WF is awesome for all the goodies, but very limited on essentials. Although, the seventh generation paper products and detergents aren't bad. It's just staple things that are hard to find, forcing you to make two separate trips or stops.

I usually do Wegmans or Harris Teeters once every two weeks and then WF twice a week. I'm in the process of building a greenhouse though, and hope to stop buying all but the odd veggies and fruits.

DMAX