ThreeDJ16

St Louis Trimmed Ribs & Boston Butt

Boston Butt...revisted.

Man, sure do love all these heat diffuser tests....good eats! Went with the salt, pepper and Fresh Market Cajun Blackening season on this butt since it was fantastic on the ribs. Pretty obvious difference using a rub with no sugar verses one that does (I am starting to prefer without). So far averaging about 1.5 hours faster with the heat diffuser verses solid deflector with no loss in flavor or texture quality (actually improvement in my opinion).

-=Jasen=-

dscn1534mediumxm0.jpg

dscn1536mediumrg6.jpg

dscn1539mediumox5.jpg

Deej, are you eating all this yourself, or are you sharing with neighbors? I'd be big as a house by now! :shock:

Shore looks purty, though. Sigh.

I usually make one meal from it at the house, then carry the rest to work to share. They are gonna love this Q. It was quite good sampling last night after chopping. But after eating it for lunch, I am thinking the best ever. The combination of no sugar in the rub, the heat diffuser and no additional smoke wood really came as close as ever to the style of Q I have been looking for. FYI, the smoke from the charcoal and drippings hitting the stone were more than enough without over powering the flavor of the meat. Next time, I may add a vinegar mop to the mix.

-=Jasen=-

Time to admonish DJ..

It was quite good sampling last night after chopping. But after eating it for lunch, I am thinking the best ever.

-=Jasen=-

Yes, them pictures of your meat cooked over your new fangled, multi holed heat defuser/fat smoker looked great in the KK...

BUT where are the chopped/pulled pictures which ensure we are all salivating over the post?

Never forget the power of saliva!

Re: Time to admonish DJ..

It was quite good sampling last night after chopping. But after eating it for lunch, I am thinking the best ever.

-=Jasen=-

Yes, them pictures of your meat cooked over your new fangled, multi holed heat defuser/fat smoker looked great in the KK...

BUT where are the chopped/pulled pictures which ensure we are all salivating over the post?

Never forget the power of saliva!

Never really think about taking chopped up pics. Usually I am in a huge hurry to get it vacuum sealed as the wife and I are scarfing it up during chopping. :snorting: Guess next time I will try to juggle a camera into the mix of snacking and chopping. Probably running my next test this weekend or shortly thereafter....damn all my suffering in the name of science! hehe 8)

-=Jasen=-

FYI: Majestik, don't be hatin' cause your on a diet. Just give in to the dark side and slather up some ribs!

Ain't that the truth..

as the wife and I are scarfing it up during chopping. :snorting:

That's my problem too..

I keep seeing that perfect looking piece of bark.. and oops it's in my mouth.

And then oooh look at that piece of fat and oops it's in my mouth also..

By the time I finish pulling and chopping I'm stuffed..

Life's a beeatch!

:smt041:smt041:smt041

Aight Then! Butt revisited with chopped pics!

OK Dennis, got the chopped pics in this one. Almost lost a finger or two doing it though.

Well, the results this time were very tasty, but last time was better. Interestingly enough, the ceramic diffuser cooked faster than the metal diffuser (took a full 12 hours this time). I think one more test is in order as the metal did have fewer holes than the ceramic (due to thinking it would cook faster anyway...wrong). My thinking now is that settling in on a ceramic diffuser with 1/2" straight through holes will end up being the final ticket!

-=Jasen=-

dscn1560mediumam2.jpg

dscn1561mediumsy9.jpg

dscn1562mediumol1.jpg

dscn1564mediumla4.jpg