Krypto

Holy mother of ceramics.. somebody peel me off this thing...

Okai,

Sorry about the yelp up there in the subject line but I truly am one happy camper. Recently got my hands on a ceramic cooker, I believe in the inner circles called a K7 (thank you Majestic). Had it for about a week and just about every night I got it going with something on it. Already did some steak, chicken, and a small butt... Next I am doing the turkey legs that somebody posted a couple of days ago, then beef jerk, then some ribs... so many options, so little time....

Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't be having the problems typically associated with the K brand but for my first time trying cooking with on a ceramic grill I am very happy with it. Besides, I have had my eyes on a KK for about 3 years and now that I know what these things can do with food, I can't wait to upgrade... lol

This forum is a great place for info and now that I actually own a grill I will participate in it more often... transitioning from the lurker status to active participant.

You think that's a good thing? Wait til you graduate to a Komodo Kamado! You'll be out there TWO and THREE times a day, cookin up a storm. :)

Welcome to the ceramic club! And welcome to the boards. :)

I have a K5, so I've not graduated, either - there are several of us here with a cooker made by Another Manufacturer. They do just fine. But the KK cookers seem to be luxury itself.

What's your favorite cook so far, Krypto? I think those turkey legs sound great. I like a soy/ginger/garlic/rice wine/sesame oil marinade on turkey legs. And a light baste with hoisin sauce.

My favorite was the pulled pork that came frm the butt cook... maybe 'cause that was the only thing I didn't mess up too bad ..lol

The chicken was allright but a bit on the done side... ended up chopping it amd made a killer salad

The ribs were definitely in the jerk variety, funny thing I had the neighbors over to show them what the "thing" in the back yard can do... loool; but surprisingly they said they liked them much better than the sloppy fat things Sticky Fingers sells (who knew huh?)

Also made a great ribeye steak... now that one turned out pretty darn close top perfect.

Quick question... I have just about every grocery chain outlet within driving range, including one brand spankin' new Whole Foods. Where do I get the best charcoal?

Welcome!

Hey bud, welcome to ceramic cooking. Have fun with those turkey legs, they are great! Lurk no more...hehe.

Been cooking like crazy here lately myself. For a change, it has been a beautiful Master's week here in Augusta, Ga. I hate golf and traffic so it has been a stay at home and grill week. Oh yeah, and beer drinking too (just so I can fit in with the golf crowd of course).

-=Jasen=-

Beer 'n Q... now what could be better...

Sanny, thank you for your welcome and hey there DJ...

We have some good friends in Augusta and they DO hate the Master's week... lool.. glad somebody figured out how to get through ... beer and q... awesome.

I recently also got a PDA 1, another hobby that I have been wanting to explore and guess what, I got started by clicking on a KK forum member's sig link, I believe he goes by Amphora Man.. or something like that... so, in a short while I will have the Q going while slowly collecting some of my own basting sauce...

Re: Beer 'n Q... now what could be better...

I recently also got a PDA 1, another hobby that I have been wanting to explore and guess what, I got started by clicking on a KK forum member's sig link, I believe he goes by Amphora Man.. or something like that... so, in a short while I will have the Q going while slowly collecting some of my own basting sauce...

Man, that is killer. He has been tempting me with one of those too. Since I already have homebrew equipment, this would be the next logical step...hehe. Send me a PM on how yours is setup.

-=Jasen=-

Krypto, try WalMart for big bags of lump charcoal. You want lump. NOT briquettes!! Also, ACE hardware sells Cowboy brand all year long.

Check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm, which is our own Whizzy's database of charcoal. He has reviewed all the available and less available brands, and rates them for us. :) He'll let you know which ones are more talk than action, and which are the quiet miracles.

Q on!! :)

Welcome to the group. Use lump or try the new KK coal coming in the future,(hope, hope). If you can get Royal Oak it is much better than Cowboy. Check The Naked Whiz site for the charcoal rating. Great site for information on cookers and recipes.

Had both cooker, 2K's and about to get my second KK. Both cook great food but the KK is one great cooker.

:D:D

Re: Thank you for all sugestions...

Will stock up this weekend as I am planning for a big pork butt cook all Saturday long... :D

Hey, Krypto! Don't think you have to keep feeding the beast to do a big butt cook. A ceramic cooker is a very efficient thing. If you fill up your lump basket and light a few of the coals (to keep the temp low), you can cook for almost a whole day on one load of lump.

There are "experts" on here that have a preferred method of stacking lump, to get maximum efficiency. I think they call it the minion method. Search the boards on that term, and you should find it. Or go out onto the web and look. It involves placement of big and medium and little pieces.

Unless you use a lump that makes so much ash it snuffs out your fire (ask me how I know THAT one!), you should be able to keep cooking low and slow all day. Just don't keep opening the lid of the cooker. Trust... Yes, I know it's hard. :D

Have big fun!

Wow... so some peeps actually go diggin' through the bag and sort the coal pieces based on size... now that's what I call dedication.

Dunno if I am that comitted.. typically I have a couple of soothing beverages on board by the time I start the Q up so the deciding on the size may slow down the startup process...

Now, last night I started my toy up for some steaks and lit up just a couple of coals on top of the pile then tried to keep it under 300.. it worked... then I opened it up to get it hot for the sear, burned my fingers opening it, let out a yelp where my neighbor gave me a funny look... he's still amused by the urn in my back yard. So, all in all I think I am ready for the big cook this weekend and as a precaution I just got back fm the sote with a nice pair of welding gloves.

Now, last night I started my toy up for some steaks and lit up just a couple of coals on top of the pile then tried to keep it under 300.. it worked... then I opened it up to get it hot for the sear, burned my fingers opening it, let out a yelp where my neighbor gave me a funny look... he's still amused by the urn in my back yard. So, all in all I think I am ready for the big cook this weekend and as a precaution I just got back fm the sote with a nice pair of welding gloves.

You can get some pretty dangerous flashback when opening a sealed grill with a roaring fire. Especially when you close off all the air to a big fire. Trick is to give it some air before opening back up. Open the bottom damper or just crack the lid open slowly also works. I think most everyone here has singed a few hairs at some point in their ceramic lives. Consider it your rite of passage now...hehe...just don't kept passing through it anymore.

-=Jasen=-

BTW, The Naked Whiz web site has some great info on flashbacks. He even put his own life in peril (for our amusement) just to provide us with the safety information...hehehe. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Whizzy>>>>>>>> :diabloanifire:

Sorting lump

Krypto, I think the lump sorters do something like this. Take the largest pieces and place them first, then fill in with the medium sizes and finish with the small. Filling in all the gaps as you go (as well as possible) this helps each piece light its neighbor before it goes out.

Use a chimney or torch or something to get just a couple of lumps burning on the top of the pile. Bring the cooker to temp. As each little lumplet burns, it catches its neighbor. By sorting, the lump sorters make sure that lumps touch each other. That way, the fire doesn't go out for hours and hours. And hours.

:)

(My eyelashes on the right are almost the same length as the left ones, after 6 months or so... careful with the flashback!)

You can get some pretty dangerous flashback when opening a sealed grill with a roaring fire. Especially when you close off all the air to a big fire. Trick is to give it some air before opening back up. Open the bottom damper or just crack the lid open slowly also works. I think most everyone here has singed a few hairs at some point in their ceramic lives. Consider it your rite of passage now...hehe...just don't kept passing through it anymore.

-=Jasen=-

BTW, The Naked Whiz web site has some great info on flashbacks. He even put his own life in peril (for our amusement) just to provide us with the safety information...hehehe. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Woo that smell can't you smell that smell

The smell of burnt hair is around you.

After the first two flashes I've gotten in the habit of cracking the lid and give it a 2 count then open. I don't even care what the temp is, if i don't do it every time i know it will bite me sooner or later. It can get easy to forget after a few beers to check the temperature

Whizzy>>>>>>>> :diabloanifire:

Funny thing is I did read the nekked man's review on flashback and still got burned... but I thin it was not the flashback, rather the steam from the cooking meat... I had the damper opened wide... then cracked the lid and slowly opened... held it there for a second or 2 to make sure no flareups... then wham... this hot air/steam... chilling my nuckles...

Live and learn, I ain't doin' that again without a glove on

Re: lazy lump setup

Hi All

I just open my bag of Lump and dump it in. 45 seconds with my blow torch and I am off. I have done15 hours with no problems.

I use a BGE right now but I have been drooling over these beauties for a while.

Jeff

Hey! Welcome to the forum.

I agree with you, that is all I do too. Lazy way leaves more time for beer drinkin'...hehe! :pint:

-=Jasen=-