culibaly

Germany calling

So my Komodo artpiece should be somewhere in a ship on its way to Hamburg Harbor and then be trucked to Freiburg.

Some 18 months ago I saw the big green egg in a catalog and it caught my attention. As they mentioned the term Kamado, I googled for it and I found out quite quickly, that I do not want a green egg or an imperial but a Kamado. I was pretty close to ordering one, when I read some terrible remarks on the K7 in the net about off breaking tiles etc.

Difficult to find out whom to trust - I am confident to have chosen right.

As far as I can see in this forum, my komodo will be the first in germany - so another white spot disappears from the map. Yet I do have some experience in ceramic cooking with using a tajine with a mejmar, a pot made from clay and fired with a little charcoal stove - an old cooking device used in Morocco

So Hi everybody, greetings from Germany!

Willkommen! Wie gehts?

You have indeed chosen wisely and it's nice to have another pin in the map. It would be interesting to see a mashup of where KKs live, I know you've got at least one neighbor in Switzerland. I can't wait to see pictures of your new cooker when it gets home, perhaps with a nice German Leica? ;) Please tell us more about your existing cookers, we like hearing about those as well.

Glückwünsche!

Welcome!! :) Delighted to have you here with us.

I think you chose well. We have TLinder in Switzerland, so you have a relatively close Komodo owner. Ok, so maybe you won't be inviting each other over for dessert, but he's closer than those of us in the US or in Australia!

Some of us here have had The Other Manufacturer's ceramic cooker (you mentioned a K7). Some of us still do. (I have a K5.) Not all experiences were negative with The Other Manufacturer, but you'll find a WAY more positive experience here (in my opinion).

And we're more fun. :cheer:

German Sales - 5 Total

I would like to add that after we announced that we were shipping to Germany and looking for people to piggyback the shipment to reduce the clearance costs we recruited another 4 people. Two of them from our own TLinder who lives just over the border. Ah the power of the net..

Thanks everybody for your help.

;);)

Welcome Culibali - You absolutely made the right choice

Nice to see European (Germany in this case) participation.

I can't wait for you to share some good 'ol German recipes!!!!

I'm a little partial after spending 13 years there (89-03); Primarily in Stuttgart, Heidelberg, Garmish-Partenkirchen, Mannheim, and Worms areas.

Again, welcome to the forum.

If you're interested in a long lasting custom cover (5yr guarantee on material) let me know. [email protected]

Re: Germany calling

So my Komodo artpiece should be somewhere in a ship on its way to Hamburg Harbor and then be trucked to Freiburg.

Some 18 months ago I saw the big green egg in a catalog and it caught my attention. As they mentioned the term Kamado, I googled for it and I found out quite quickly, that I do not want a green egg or an imperial but a Kamado. I was pretty close to ordering one, when I read some terrible remarks on the K7 in the net about off breaking tiles etc.

Difficult to find out whom to trust - I am confident to have chosen right.

As far as I can see in this forum, my komodo will be the first in germany - so another white spot disappears from the map. Yet I do have some experience in ceramic cooking with using a tajine with a mejmar, a pot made from clay and fired with a little charcoal stove - an old cooking device used in Morocco

So Hi everybody, greetings from Germany!

Hello! Welcome to the forum! Finally, someone who can give us the real deal schweinehaxe recipe I have been dying for!

BTW, no worries, you have made the best decision possible on a grill!

-=Jasen=-

Dj wrote:

Finally, someone who can give us the real deal schweinehaxe recipe I have been dying for!

You got it Bud!! That's what I'm talkin about!!!

But isn't German Schwein Haxe cooked in a vat of hot oil? I seen a version of Schwein Haxe for the K; but since I always thought the original was deep fried I never tried it.

Also, I have enough difficulty finding pigs feet around here; it's doutfull if I'll fine schwein haxe. The kids had a pig butchered and asked for the feet for the wife. They said we don't do feet around here. Then said if you want them, let us know early next time and we'll cut them off when they arrive; with hair, dirt, manure, etc and hand them to you.

Dj wrote:

Finally, someone who can give us the real deal schweinehaxe recipe I have been dying for!

You got it Bud!! That's what I'm talkin about!!!

But isn't German Schwein Haxe cooked in a vat of hot oil? I seen a version of Schwein Haxe for the K; but since I always thought the original was deep fried I never tried it.

Also, I have enough difficulty finding pigs feet around here; it's doubtfull if I'll fine schwein haxe. The kids had a pig butchered and asked for the feet for the wife. They said we don't do feet around here. Then said if you want them, let us know early next time and we'll cut them off when they arrive; with hair, dirt, manure, etc and hand them to you.

Have had them finished off in the deep fryer, rotisserie and oven.....it's all good. The fryer has the best finished skin, but is a PITA.

BTW, I actually quit using the pork shank and moved to the shank side of the shoulder.....way more meat!

-=Jasen=-

Thai- German Schwein Haxe

Now I remember DJ singing about German Schwein Haxe before but I had no clue what it was and never Googled it. But with this new series of posts I had to do a google image search and laughed when I saw the big knuckle because I used to buy them in Bangkok all the time. 100 meters from my house there was a high end shopping complex where all the hotels had take away food stalls.

Thailand is a magnet destination for the Germans and so their is lots of German food there. I truly believe that the Thais are their polar opposite. They are actually yin and yang but that's another story..

But back to the Schwein Haxe.. one of the stalls always had about 10-15 of these large chunks of very tender tasty pork. One of the things I really miss about Bangkok..

I give a big two thumbs up for Schwein Haxe too..

:lol::lol::lol:

Deej said: BTW, I actually quit using the pork shank and moved to the shank side of the shoulder.....way more meat!

That would be the fore shank from the shoulder and hind shank from the --well you know. Just got back from St.Louis, bowling tourney with David Jr., a Father and son thing ( guess it was the state finals, they announced we were the cream of the crop, LOL) All this pork shank stuff is making me hungry!!Got home way too late to fix anything but a martini or 3. Had the top down on the Jeep and my brain is cooked!( yes I had a hat on) John , I'm from Iowa, but your IN Iowa! Get some shanks from HY-VEE( I was a helpful smile, in every aisle)

Had the top down on the Jeep and my brain is cooked!( yes I had a hat on)

From one Jeeper to another, After a long topless interstate drive, your brain isnt cooked, its shaken! Especially with all the big-rig traffic in the midwest (I used to live in Columbia, MO). A truck can stir up the wind for a half a mile behind it :)

Now, since you said you were wearing a hat, and you didnt mention loosing said hat, I would venture a guess that you have full doors and they are still in place? I keep my doors on a shelf in the garage, and when passing trucks I can stay entertained by playing catch the hat as it tries to fly away! :D

It was a big improvement when they switched to coil springs. It also made it much easier to install a lift. Ive got a 3.5 inches of lift and 33x12.50 tires. Needless to say my crystal ball didn't predict $4/gal or I would have been lowering it and adding ground effects instead!

Oh well, it doesn't need to be a daily driver since i am always traveling but it is a fun toy for the FL sun.

Primeats wrote:

Get some shanks from HY-VEE( I was a helpful smile, in every aisle)

No kidding, HyVee!! We must have four of those around here. A real nice new one too. Thanks Primeats, I'll have to ask the butcher. But, I won't ask the kids this time. Last time I ordered a Prime Rib "Bone-In" for special occassion. I told the kid I did not want the bones cut off and re-tied on. He said ok, that's a bla bla. I said call it what you want, just don't cut the bones off. He said got it. Guess what I unwrapped when I got ready to put it on the grill; yup, bones cut and tied on.

It was holiday, HyVee were closed to exchange it, so i cooked it anyway. Good but the presentation wasn't there. Wife called HyVee to complain, as this was the second time it's happened. They're replacing the entire roast as soon as I want it. I have a note from the manager.

Yup. Personal service, service with a smile and a "Hello can I help you?", it's how I was trained. Sound like anyone else around here? Not sure I know anyone from the Quad Cities, but ask the manager if he knows of anyone who had worked in Dubuque, or Cedar Rapids/Marion. It'd be a laugh if they recognized my name( and all those stories are lies, all lies, especially when it comes to East Dubuque, never been there, nope, no way( Mulgrew's chili dogs are the best)).

Thanks for the nice welcome.

I think there are not so many german BBQ or grill recipes yet, because Germany is a developing country in that. Mostly germans do Bratwurst (grilled saussage) and pork-neck, indirect grilling and a closed grill with any kind of dome is mostly unknown. But I will try to find a way for a Haxn on my KK once he is here.

What I am looking forward to do is Pumpernickel, a nearly black bread made out of rye, water and salt without yeast. You need a sour paste for that. Once the paste is ready, the baker used to put it in the wood fired oven before he went home - he started baking at 160°C and took it out the next day at room temperature - so modern recipes with 10 hours at 120°C are not really exact. I hope the kamado doesn´t keep the temperature that good :D , so that I can arrange a steadily declining temperature.

So it burns out in X hours and then cools.

he started baking at 160°C and took it out the next day at room temperature - so modern recipes with 10 hours at 120°C are not really exact. I hope the kamado doesn´t keep the temperature that good :D ' date=' so that I can arrange a steadily declining temperature.[/quote']

The only way your going to get that result is to use just a little bit of charcoal so it burns out in X hours and then cools.

If not you're going to burn 25+ hours on a full bowl...

:lol::lol:

Somehow I knew your kamado was to good for a Pumpernickel... 8)

But I will outwit you! Maybe I drill some holes in?

:wink:

Actually, what Dennis said should work great. Might take a little practice/experimenting with fuel, but you should be able to find a quantity of charcoal and draft damper setting to burn for X number of hours at Y degrees, then slowly cool down to room temp.

Besides, there are more important matters here like getting us a Haxe recipe??? hehe

-=Jasen=-