cruzmisl

Check out my new toy....

It does not have a C02 system so those kegs won't work with it. I tried a Vinotemp unit that uses C02 or can use a pressurized keg like the Heineken. I tried two of those and they were JUNK! The build quality is nowhere near that of the Krups (I swear I never thought I'd hear myself say that) and I could pee harder than what would come out of the keg. It's a very poor design. The beer would literally trickle out and was white because it was all foam. The other drawback to the C02 type kegs is they won't stay fresh for very long so you have to consume them.

I watched the Avanti video and it's the same as the Vinotemp unit.....

It does not have a C02 system so those kegs won't work with it. I tried a Vinotemp unit that uses C02 or can use a pressurized keg like the Heineken. I tried two of those and they were JUNK! The build quality is nowhere near that of the Krups (I swear I never thought I'd hear myself say that) and I could pee harder than what would come out of the keg. It's a very poor design. The beer would literally trickle out and was white because it was all foam. The other drawback to the C02 type kegs is they won't stay fresh for very long so you have to consume them.

Guess I will have to stick to wanting a bigger kegerator then...hehe...I am not a fan of Heineken.

But on the CO2 thing, that should not affect freshness. Never had a problem on that with my cheap mini dispenser or with full sized corny kegs. Oxygen is what ruins beer, so provided the CO2 doesn't run out, that should not be an issue.

-=Jasen=-

There are several other breweries that use mini kegs. Spatan, Warstiener, and Bitburger (I think Dinkel Acker also...not positive) are a few. Only thing is these require a CO2 cartridge to dispense.

I guess I was poor as a kid, we would just use the little spout it came with. You'd punch a hole in the front at the bottom and let gravity do the rest. We'd drink it before it got flat !!

I know we tried the Spatan, Warstiener and Bitburger, I can't remember Dinkel Acker. The first three are the big names at our local Oktoberfest as well. Good times there !!!

There are several other breweries that use mini kegs. Spatan' date=' Warstiener, and Bitburger (I think Dinkel Acker also...not positive) are a few. Only thing is these require a CO2 cartridge to dispense. [/quote']

I guess I was poor as a kid, we would just use the little spout it came with. You'd punch a hole in the front at the bottom and let gravity do the rest. We'd drink it before it got flat !!

I know we tried the Spatan, Warstiener and Bitburger, I can't remember Dinkel Acker. The first three are the big names at our local Oktoberfest as well. Good times there !!!

Guess I should have said they would require co2 in a dispenser like the one the post is about......as the Heineken kegs come preloaded.

Yeah, the spout on the can is fine provided you drink it fairly quick....hehehe...not to much problem there.

I mainly bought that cheap co2 dispenser for using with homebrew since it was small. Don't have room currently for a spare frig and the wife doesn't want to hear about putting one on the back porch..hehehe....so at that time, it was one of the few options. What I would love now is to get a mini frig that would take the place of my garbage compactor (hate that stupid thing). Only thing I have found so far is a wine storage frig replacement for a compactor. Probably best if I just move into a new house with more beer space....that is logical right? hehe

-=Jasen=-

Back when I was brewing a lot, I kept six different brews on tap at all times by getting an old chest freezer and an industrial thermostat with a bulb that could pass under the gasket and control the freezer. A 20 lb CO2 cylinder with several downstream gas regulators allowed me to keep each brew at its proper carbonation level (5 gallon Corny kegs).

I miss those days!

Mike

I'd be happy to describe how it was done - surprisingly inexpensive, as long as you have the basement space for a chest freezer. The little gas regulators can be obtained from C&H sales for about ten bucks apiece and tapped into a single manifold off the C)2 bottle.

Cut a 2x4 or 2x6 to the width of the freezer, and a piece to the depth, then rip it diagonally. Screw these together with the diagonals facing up, and you have a nice chock to hold the lid slightly ajar while still sealing. (I put some foam weatherstrip on the top and bottom of this to help the seal. Then put your taps through the board at front, and you're good to go. Surprisingly easy to put together and manage, and almost maintenance free.

Amphoran, seriously, a "freezer", like chest type? Like for storing frozen foods?

How much alcohol is in your beer? :eek:

Great for vodka, but beer? I've forgot about them and blown em' up before.... :mad:

You don't run it at freezer temps. That is why the extra thermostat is used. You can pick them up at most homebrew shops for that purpose. You plug the freezer power plug into it and the thermostat cycles it at frig temps. Folks do this as it usually works out cheaper and with more room.

-=Jasen=-

I mostly made british style ales, so I kept the freezer at about 45-47, just a hair cooler than proper cellar temperature. I'd usually make up a keg of tonic water and keep it in there too, for the summer. That took much higher pressure than any of the beers, about 60 psi, but it was well and thoroughly carbonated!

I mostly made british style ales' date=' so I kept the freezer at about 45-47, just a hair cooler than proper cellar temperature. I'd usually make up a keg of tonic water and keep it in there too, for the summer. That took much higher pressure than any of the beers, about 60 psi, but it was well and thoroughly carbonated![/quote']

How about a recipe for tonic water? I drink a lot of it and would not mind making it myself. Already have kegs and CO2, just don't know what to add for quinine?

-=Jasen=-