DennisLinkletter

Palette Volumes

Boxes are 15" x 9" x 9"

Assuming palettes are 7"t x 40" x 48"

I'm guessing that we could go seven high which would be 70"

With 7 high and 13 boxes per row, we would have a total of 91 boxes or 2002 lbs max per palette.

Does that make sense/seem do-able?

I think that shrink wrap can secure this.. Anyone with actual experience here?

PaletteTopView.jpg

Side View

Palette.jpg

Dennis,

I worked shipping/receiving/warehousing for many years, many years ago. Looks great to me, stackable, easy to fork.

Shrink wrap, the kind you actually shrink is great for keeping water out as well as holding pallet load together. The type I remember were like a bag set upside down over the load, then shrinked/secured everything to the pallet.

Maybe the saran stuff they wrap around the load (from a roll), may be way to go these days. We didn't use much of it back then. But recently I had a couple pallets of rock and mortar delivered to my driveway. I asked the driver "Do I need to unpack now to get those bags of mortar out, of are they okay a couple days, possible rain". He said "No worry". Sure enough it rained and no problem.

This information is also helpful for those of us meeting pallets by car.

For example, I'm picking up 20 boxes, 22 lbs each, in SF with my VW GTI (think half-assed station wagen with torque). The 440 lbs is less than three passengers, no problem.

20 * (15 * 9 * 9) / (12 * 12 * 12) = 14 cubic feet

...so I'll also be fine on volume, the stuff will easily fit in one trip.

Dennis,

I think 7' tall it too tall! I used to be in the packaged concrete business. We only packaged our bags about 3'-4' high on the pallet. At 7', you will likely have some boxes collapse or some truck will turn sharply and tip a pallet over no matter how carefully you put it on the pallet. Unfortunately, if you make the pallet too short, the trucker will probably stack the pallets making the problem even worse. I know charcoal is a lot lighter than concrete but 7' provides a pretty high center of gravity. Why don't you do an experiment to see what is the ideal height that provides some high degree of confidence in the shipping industries ability to deliver a pallet undamaged!

Zorro

5 ft 10 inches..

Dennis,

I think 7' tall it too tall! I used to be in the packaged concrete business. We only packaged our bags about 3'-4' high on the pallet. At 7', you will likely have some boxes collapse or some truck will turn sharply and tip a pallet over no matter how carefully you put it on the pallet. Unfortunately, if you make the pallet too short, the trucker will probably stack the pallets making the problem even worse. I know charcoal is a lot lighter than concrete but 7' provides a pretty high center of gravity. Why don't you do an experiment to see what is the ideal height that provides some high degree of confidence in the shipping industries ability to deliver a pallet undamaged!

Zorro

That is 7 inches for the palette and a total of 70 inches or 5 ft 10 inches..

I think that's very do-able..

;);)

Re: 5 ft 10 inches..

That is 7 inches for the palette and a total of 70 inches or 5 ft 10 inches..

I think that's very do-able..

;);)

I'm 5'5", and my base is somewhat smaller than a palette. And I hardly fall over at all! :happy8:

You funny gal Sanny. :D

I think you'll find riding that small base of yours in the back of a truck, or on a forklift may require a hand from TNW. :lol: