PaulR

Using a Guru and a Stoker!

He really needs to advertise these things better - the Stoker has so many evolutionary improvements that aren't mentioned anyplace from the lighted probes and now your fan mod. Maybe he'll get an injection-molded weatherproof housing made as well! Buying stuff from Rock is like buying stuff from Dennis - it's always the best until he decides to improve it :)

Re: Stoker mod

Just spoke with John at Rock's' date=' they are going to incorporate my fan door mod into the next production run! He's going to dimple the little fan door, or the roof so it has a little nub sticking down so it can't get stuck open.[/quote']

Cool!!! My Stoker is on backorder. I think I'll call and tell them to hold it until the new mod can be incorporated in my unit. I would never be able to handle that mod by myself!!

Susan

Rock's BBQ

I'm getting somewhat less than stellar service from Rock's. They won't return multiple phone calls or emails. This is apparently already well known, but I don't like it. There is a known fault with blowers running non-stop. I did finally get a phone call answered, and my sense is they just replace everything to solve this. I did not get the idea they actually know what's wrong. As long as I wind up with a functioning unit I'll be happy. But I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling here.

Doc, unfortunately Rocks is not known for their customer services. All I can tell you is to keep calling, best time to call is first thing in the morning, ask for John (owner), once you get him on the line you'll get taken care of. Forget email, I honestly don't think they read them.

If you search on my posts in the other ATC forum you'll see where I ranted a bit when I was in your situation. You'll see I actually got two bad units (I have that kind of luck). Third time was a charm and I haven't had to contact Rocks since, if I have questions I post on the other forum and have always received the help I've needed, there are some pretty bright guys who contribute. Amir's also a great help with his Stokerlog program.

Hang in there . . .

There is another forum member that has had a great deal of difficulty dealing with Rock. His has never worked right and customer service is non existent. He has it in a box and not even using it. Too bad-thats an expensive paperweight. I have had nothing but success with BBQGuru and used them for years. Maybe he'll chime in and tell his story.

Rock's

I am the one cruzmisl was referring to.

My unit has never worked right. I called a zillion times, finally got someone. I have sent it to them, they upgraded the blower, but didn't include the upgraded bushing/rubber grommet, called a zillion more times and they finally sent me the bushing after insulting me for asking him for one. Small one wouldn't fit the larger blower and he acted like I shouldn't worry about it-no way to connect it without the right bushing. The upgraded blower was too strong by default and required a firmware upgrade-I did it and it still never worked right so I gave up on it and his crappy customer service.

Anyone wanna buy a lame stoker?

CyberQ

I got a Cyber Q to use for my Fourth of July cook, since my Stoker was back at Rock's at the time. In fact, they still have it. Anyhoo the Cyber Q is working fine. When the Stoker is working, there's no real difference in them that matters. I've never dealt with customer service at the BBQ Guru, but I haven't heard any of the same type of stories you hear about Rock's. Rock's just needs to nail down this non-stop fan problem and fix it!

It's August 9 and I still don't have my Stoker, or a replacement, back. That's over 40 days. Sigh.

So, have ya'll seen the new Guru Nano?

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... _q_web.jpg

It is billed as the replacement for the Pit Minder. It is simply a pit temp controller, that's it. There is no display screen. Check it out.

Rock's BBQ feedback

Just spoke with John. He admitted he has poor customer service, that he is an engineer, he works the business solo with occasional help from his wife. At present he can't afford to hire a customer service person. He was very apologetic and admitted he can't always answer the phone or emails. He was quite sincere in his desire to help me. I'm satisfied. He offered to throw in a few freebies because of the long delay in servicing my unit. He also reported he is aware of the posts all over the various BBQ forums regarding his customer service and is doing his best as the sole employee of the company. Being an independent entrepreneur myself, I am accepting this level of service for this product. Others may not. It's true I get immediate, happy, helpful service from the BBQ Guru folks and I appreciate that, but I am not quitting Rock's.

Rock's BBQ feedback

I ordered the Stoker last week. John and I had some great conversations about the unit and technology in general. Hopefully I do not experience some of the issues previously posted.

The unit should be here any day now. Additionally, I am waiting for the delivery call as my new bronze big-boy should have arrived at the LA docks last week!

Doc, glad you're hanging in there with John, once he makes it right you will not regret your decision. There's nothing like sitting on the #9 tee box checking your email on your SmartPhone seeing that you need to slow your cook down a bit as the cooks going faster than your golf game (Stoker emailing you updates), accessing your Stoker remotely and lowering your pit temp. Amazing (and fun) stuff!

Getting the Stoker to Fit

The Stoker should be here any day now. Additionally, I am waiting for the delivery call as my new bronze big-boy should have arrived at the LA docks last week!

Anybody have any ideas on how we are going to get the Stoker to fit the new KK's with the built in inducer tubes? I haven't heard back from Dennis yet on the details of what he is working on. :hm:

As a temporary fix, I'd probably go to Home Despot or an autobody shop with the fan in hand and see if I could get a short length of metal pipe that fits inside the opening. I'd check plumbing, they should have copper pipe there but I'd probably go for the iron stuff they use for gas lines (seems like it should stand up to heat better). Car exhaust pipe may be even better since it'll be thinner. Depending on how good of a fit it is you may also want to try some muffler tape to keep it in place. This should be a serviceable cheap, temporary fix until Dennis gets back to you.

Re: Getting the Stoker to Fit

Anybody have any ideas on how we are going to get the Stoker to fit the new KK's with the built in inducer tubes? I haven't heard back from Dennis yet on the details of what he is working on. :hm:

John mentioned that he was going to contact Dennis about the setup. I'm not sure if this has happened or not.