DennisLinkletter

Wrong Charcoal - Price adjusted accordingly

Unfortunately I need to announce that extruded coconut charcoal that I tested, was invoiced for, bought and then sold to you was NOT the same charcoal that was shipped by the factory. The first giveaway is that some of the new charcoal leaves an orange tinted ash while the original sample that I received and both myself and Doug from the Naked Whiz tested was ash grey. It also produces more ash, not anywhere as much as the coco sold by the builders of the POSK but also not the best in the business which is what I always want KOmodo products to be.

I have been pressing the factory in the Philippines for an explanation for this bait and switch but have not received any satisfactory answers The specifications of what I ordered were very clear. They will start production of a new container next week and have asked me to fly there to meet with them, I have agreed to come and check product personally before I ship another container.

I'm absolutely sure that they are the factory that made the high quality 2003 charcoal and I did receive good samples from them in May. In my wildest dreams I did not imagine this factory doing this.

It is dramatically better than the charcoal RJ & KAmado has been shipping in the last 5 years but it is not the charcoal that I marketed or represented.

All customers who have previously purchased to charcoal have been contacted and they will be compensated with new charcoal when it's available.

It now seems that there is interest and demand for specialty charcoals.. I definitely will be bringing different charcoals to the market this next year.

I have received the following burn test results from our forum members Dave aka Syzygies and Doug of the Naked Whiz fame, their results.

Syzygies.. also posted a review about the flavor profile (see feedback)

percents.jpg

Doug TNW's test results..

As you can see here it has a respectable burn time and the 2nd lowest ash.

pastedGraphic.png

Dennis and Glenn (jiarby) asked me offline to make various tests, beyond my feedback posted so far. I'm in the middle of a plumbing project (previous owner believed in recycling construction scrap, rotting the wall behind our shower), I'll post what I did as soon as I can. The differences with Doug's (nakedwhiz) numbers can be explained by different methodologies; our conclusions agree.

Bottom line, I jumped on the first chance to purchase this charcoal because of my read on Dennis, which is amply confirmed by his post above, and a concern that one never knows, this might be my only chance to buy charcoal of this quality.

This batch is quite usable. It exactly fits my needs for controlling flavor, the 22 hour pork butt I made last week was the best I've made so far. It is a deal one won't see again. And we all want to keep Dennis in the charcoal business!

And just to confirm what Dennis stated, I can attest that what the manufacturer sold Dennis was absolutely different than the sample that the manufacturer provided back in May. Even the size of the extrusions was different. Once I burned it, it was as obvious as night and day that the sample was different than what was delivered.