Krypto

The benefits of using a "smoke pot"

Couple of threads on this on this forum, I think. Maybe do a search.

I think the smoke pot idea has something to do with burning off the gases, and leaving only the good smokey flavor from the wood.

Your charcoal has all that stuff burned off already, right? It's just carbon stuff. Your chips have other stuff in them when they burn.

So, if you make a smoke pot, then the other stuff gets burned or trapped or whatever, before it gets to the food. Bitter flavors. Only the smokey goodness gets on the food. I think the idea is to put holes facing in such a way that the smoke has to get through the fire to get to the food.

Different smoke pots on here. Some are little tiny dutch oven thingies, about the size of a sugar bowl, made of cast iron, with holes. Or without holes. The people who do not have holes let the smoke sneak out between the lid and pot. The ones with holes sometimes seal up the pot (except the holes) with a flour/water dough/paste, to control how quickly the smoke escapes.

Another style of smoke pot is more of a pipe with holes. A pipe with capped ends (threaded), and holes on the length. All the same idea.

There are commercially made ones, or home made ones. Someone posted a link to a commercially available one, with many available flavors of wood to go in the little pot.

When the smoke pot or pipe is opened at the end of the cook, usually all that is left is charcoal - toss it on your cook for next time.

There was alot of char about this a few years ago on the "other" forum, maybe even b4 this site existed... A few guys were using 4" black pipes with threaded caps and drilling a few small holes and calling them "smoke bombs" because of their resemblence to the unabomber's handiwork.

I even remember seeing a photo of a gas flame shooting out of one of these things. The happy byproduct of combusting wood in a low oxygen atmosphere is the manufacturing of charcoal.

I was intrigued by these (guys love gadgets) but largely thought of them as un needed. Anytime I catch myself wanting to "guru" or otherwise over-tech a simple process (cooking bbq) I think of my road trip (2004) to the BBQ Meccas of Central Texas (Luling, Taylor, Llano, Lockhart). Those guys make some great BBQ and all they did was throw meat on a pit with some simple rub (or none at all)!

I didn't see a BBQ guru (except holding a knife). There were no "smoke pots". There were no injecting anything. No one sorting through the briskets looking for left handed ones. There were no Thermapens, or even thermometers at all.

KISS IT!

Keep It Simple

When I visited Glenn in AZ last fall I talked to him about BBQ. He is really right on, since seeing Glenn I have reduced my BBQ to things like salt & pepper and stuffing my Roti chickens with cut up granny smith apples. My wife says just keep doing what you are doing this is best tasting yet. Of course those TX old time BBQ joints have tons of patina on the cooking system.

Hay Cozy,

Are the Romo-ettes playing the yardbirds this year?? (ie... are you coming out again?) And... I think it was 2-3 years ago!

We probably aren't coming out this year since AZ will make us buy tickets to the New Orleans pre-season game in addition to the Cowboy game. Guess Arizona is trying to keep the Cowboy fan numbers lower this year!!

This is really hijacking a thread, but here's the UDS's...

I have two of the 22.5" diameter 55gallon ones (1 for RIBS, 1 for CHX) and an 27" diameter 85gallon one. Only one 55g shown here. In the b/g there are two "Topo-K's" circa 2002 and a 2005 vintage coconut brown Mexi-K.

We are loading them up tonight to go the KCBS cookoff in Taylor AZ and see if we can qualify for "Da Jack"!

drumbros.jpg

Back On Track

I know it's boring but I really do have a question about smoke pots and how they work. BBQ's Delight, that sells wood pellets, advertises a smoke pot with this description:

"Cast Iron Smoker Pot -- Heavy cast iron smoke box with no holes, smoke comes out between the lid and the base and lasts a long, long time."

http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/order.html

Their pellets are great for about thirty minutes. Try TNW's recipe for salmon and you will understand. Does anyone here have any real-time experience with a smoke pot and pellets/chips. It sounds like a good idea to me, but then many ideas sound good.

Thanks for any input,

Wayne

Re: Back On Track

I know it's boring but I really do have a question about smoke pots and how they work. BBQ's Delight' date=' that sells wood pellets, advertises a smoke pot with this description...[/quote']

Try these two threads. Topic discussed.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... ot+pellets

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 3&start=15

Re: Back On Track

Their pellets are great for about thirty minutes. Try TNW's recipe for salmon and you will understand. Does anyone here have any real-time experience with a smoke pot and pellets/chips. It sounds like a good idea to me, but then many ideas sound good.

Thanks for any input,

Wayne

If you decide that pellets are the way you want to go, then you may want to consider buying from a different source. I know BBQ Delight pellets are several dollars for a few ounces. You can get the same pellets in larger quantities for a much cheaper price through Treager or Cookshack.

http://store.cookshack.com/c-107-smokin ... llets.aspx

They are convenient with their compact size. But just not a fan of the flavor of pellets verses raw wood chunks. They all seemed to taste the same to me. I owned a Traeger pellet feed grill for a couple years. Though can't say I have ever used the pellets in the little pot.

When I have used a smoke pot in the past, my favorite is the method Syz came up with using the cast iron pot and real wood chunks.

-=Jasen=-

I always thought pellets would be good in a smoke bomb because you could really cram them in there. I just throw fist sized chunks ontop of my charcoal...kinda minion style. Unlit lump with wood chunks interspersed. Then a half chimney on top, and a final wood chunk on the very top.

This is Pecan & Cherry on top of coconut charcoal (2003 CEL) in a 2005 LS+ basket inside the 85g drum for pork & brisket.

basket.jpg

I use wood chunks for all my low and slow, but for quick stuff like steaks (Jack Daniels), pork chops (maple)and chicken (orange) I use pellets in a foil pouch. Take a 6" X 12" square of heavy duty aluminum foil and fold in half. Then seal the sides by folding two or three times. fill with about 1/3 cup of pellets and seal the top. Poke a hole in one side with a toothpick and place on coals. It starts smoking fast works great using the T-rex method for steaks, put on coals after the sear.

Roy