Jackie from Jersey

What happens if you don't trim ribs?

Re: Not the quality of the meat that dictates searing or low

he told wild stories of contestants before large competitions going to huge meat packing places and fondling meat for hours to get the perfect pieces..

And I ask you, how does getting one's inner-self all worked up by fondling pieces in a meat packing plant have anything to do with winning a BBQ contest?!?!?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

Touch trumps reason

Touch seems to function on an independent plane to reason. I'm struck by the parallel here, I was just describing in a different thread how my gurus taught me to touch a pork butt to tell if it was done, rather than depending on temperature. So ashes to ashes, butcher to pit, if one has a sense of touch, it trumps reason.

Steak chefs can tell doneness by touch, only the inexperienced need to cut a steak to peek.

I once shook Jerry Brown's hand during his presidential bid. He instantly (think: Stephen King's The Dead Zone) sensed I wasn't voting for him, and his hand went limp as his attention turned.

I feel most comfortable with tomatoes, after picking them all summer in CA. Back in NY, all the farmers markets have signs scolding consumers not to squeeze ("Tomato = Banana, judge by color") yet with imperceptable pressure I can tell in horror I'm holding yet another tomato that wasn't ready to pick.

So, yes, I don't doubt the story Dennis relays.

Syzygies wrote:

I once shook Jerry Brown's hand during his presidential bid. He instantly (think: Stephen King's The Dead Zone) sensed I wasn't voting for him, and his hand went limp as his attention turned.

Since your hands have been in a major film, I'm sure he was intimidated! ;):D No telling where his hands had been! :eek::lol:

Conodo said:

And I ask you, how does getting one's inner-self all worked up by fondling pieces in a meat packing plant have anything to do with winning a BBQ contest?!?!?!

It's what I do every day, just to make sure you could win a BBQ contest. It doesn't hurt to have the proper equipment though! And , as my Father always said "Even a bad cook can ruin good meat."