LarryR

Stoker on a Ceramic, Bringing up to Temp

I'll be using my Stoker with my ceramic for the first time this weekend for a low and slow cook and have one question; do you let the Stoker bring your cooker up to temp or do it manually and then turn Stoker on? Having battled higher temps in my ceramic on a low and slow cook I'm concerned about over shooting temps with the Stoker.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi Larry,

Here's my approach with a DigiQII (same principle as your Stoker, just less bells and whistles computer-wise). I do let the powerdraft bring the unit up to temp but carefully. Here's what I mean - I light just a few (2-3) coals so I know I've got a few coals good and lit. Then I have the damper top just barely cracked. Virtually no smoke gets out unless the powerdraft is blowing. The bottom draft is completely closed. Only the powerdraft is providing any air to the coals. Now I set my powerdraft control to 25 degrees lower than my target temp. ie, 200 if my target temp is 225. This will allow your powerdraft to overshoot your set temp by just a bit without overshooting your desired temp. Let the temp settle in for about 20 mins to 30 mins. Once that temp is settled, bring the powerdraft control up to your desired cooking temp. The DigiQ has been spot on and I think you will find the same with your Stoker. Long story short - bring it up slowly and then settle into your desired temp. You'll find that the powerdraft will hold your temp for many many hours! 8)

Hi Larry,

Here's my approach with a DigiQII (same principle as your Stoker, just less bells and whistles computer-wise). I do let the powerdraft bring the unit up to temp but carefully. Here's what I mean - I light just a few (2-3) coals so I know I've got a few coals good and lit. Then I have the damper top just barely cracked. Virtually no smoke gets out unless the powerdraft is blowing. The bottom draft is completely closed. Only the powerdraft is providing any air to the coals. Now I set my powerdraft control to 25 degrees lower than my target temp. ie, 200 if my target temp is 225. This will allow your powerdraft to overshoot your set temp by just a bit without overshooting your desired temp. Let the temp settle in for about 20 mins to 30 mins. Once that temp is settled, bring the powerdraft control up to your desired cooking temp. The DigiQ has been spot on and I think you will find the same with your Stoker. Long story short - bring it up slowly and then settle into your desired temp. You'll find that the powerdraft will hold your temp for many many hours! 8)

Ditto.....exactly! I do the same thing with the Procom and the DigiQII. Even though, the DigiQII has built in detection that is supposed to pause while it brings it up to prevent overshoot. Similar to the lid open thing. But I still do it myself also.

As he indicated above, you want the power draft system to do the work and virtually no natural draft.

-=Jasen=-

Hi Larry,

In case you don't have it just yet, here is the latest software load from Amir. I saw some of your posts on the WSM board so you probably already have this load but just in case you (or someone else in our forum) needs it, here is the link:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp ... 2680077475

Just scroll down to the fourth post and Amir has a link to his latest "Stoker" software program. Best of all, it is free!

Hi Larry , IMO it also depends on what temps you want to cook at? (and the amount of charcoal you have lit).

If you just need it to be at 225 (for example) I connect everything and close the lid (open the top 1/4) and close the bottom vents completely for about 10 minutes and turn on the Stoker and let it do it's thing (I do the same using my guru but for longer cooks I only use the Stoker because I like to keep the results).

ARGH!!! Well since you asked . . . Per Stoker's instructions I ordered the adapter for my cooker from BBQ Guru and ordered Stoker's adapter to fit the BBQ Guru adapter. So they both get here and there's about a 1/16 gap between the two. Haven't figured out how I'm going to seal the gap yet.

PICTURES

There isn't a tremendous amount of heat where your guru/stoker port is located. You can fill the gap several ways but to be safe, I imagine that carefully cut and rolled tin foil would fit the bill. Simply cut a length of tin foil to the proper width and start to wrap it around the Stoker adapter. Keep wrapping until the adapter is tight when inserted into the Guru adapter. Done! :D And since you used a good quality tin foil, you don't have to worry about it burning up! 8)

For a longer term solution (read permanent) take the two parts to a machine shop and have them braze the two adapters together. Very airtight and very permanent! ;)

High temp silicone. Its as permanent as you need it to be, and yet removable should the need arise. It works fine to hold the guru tubes in a KK, so it should work fine in your case as well.

It takes some chutzpah, but many people have also gone ahead and drilled a hole in their grill (KKs come with the port already) to attach the guru/stoker. They just use the silicone plug when not in use.