Greg_R

Charcoal ordering for dummies

So what's the current story on this charcoal? How does one go about ordering some?

1) There seems to be at least 2 different types of KK coal (a good version and a bad batch)?

2) Can any person order any amount (understanding that less will cost more / lb to ship)?

3) Is there any KK coal still available? It sounds like a container is shipped to LA and then people get pallets shipped from there?

4) Can various accessories be combined with a coal order to save on shipping?

Has anyone compared this with BGE charcoal?

Thanks!

BGE charcoal is plain american hardwood lump charcoal. Extruded coconut is a different animal altogether. You might poke around the lump charcoal database (http://www.lump-charcoal.com/) to learn more about it. EC is harder to start and takes longer to get to hot temps. However, it really isn't intended to be the only charcoal you use. It is best for low and slow and moderate roasting temps. It burns evenly and constantly and is great for overnighters. It also has a different taste than hardwood lump. You probably should do a side by side chicken-tender cook over fresh charcoal of both types to see how they differ. But for a ripping hot steak cook, I'd use regular lump charcoal. Good luck!

As for ordering, it's usually pretty pricey to get just a few boxes so most people try to share a pallet in the Charcoal Order Sharing Forum. I notice that there's an old thread from a Seattle sharing attempt, if you team up with Amphoran you may be able to save a bit.

If you just want a few boxes and don't want to bother with a share just email Dennis and he'll get a quote out to you. He can also probably throw in some accessories to save on shipping. Emails are the best since that's how Dennis organizes his order information.

Thanks everyone! I had read through the lump DB and the previous posts but didn't get a clear picture as to what charcoal is currently available. Is the only stuff currently available the "not perfect but usable" coal?

I like the flavor of the BGE for general purpose cooking and it's really the only remotely decent charcoal that I can get in my area. Would using the EC coal + a few chunks of hardwood give me a similar flavor profile to that of hardwood lump?

Whiz, you mention that you'd lean away from the EC for high temp cooks. Is this because of the lighting difficulty or that the EC just won't get to the really high temps required?

Whiz' date=' you mention that you'd lean away from the EC for high temp cooks. Is this because of the lighting difficulty or that the EC just won't get to the really high temps required?[/quote']

EC will get to high temps and it is not really that bad to light especially with the gas option however; it has been my experience that there is no benefit to using the EC for high temp burns as you will use much more charcoal (in value) than the cheap stuff. The benefit of EC is that it will burn a loooooong time with little coal and will keep a very even temp. Keep in mind you need to load up the basket with coal no matter how long you are going to cook. Don't try to just put a few bricks in there and expect it to just cook for a short time, this doesn't work. Load it up and then snuff it out and save the remaining.

I have been wondering about what Tony just mentioned. I have a few hundred lbs of Dennis' EC in my garage that I have yet to open. When I use it, should I fill the basket and snuff it like regular lump? Or should I estimate how much I will need and add an extra stick or two for a margin of error?

I dont want to waste it if it will smolder along when I shut it down, or crumbles up after burning. How well has it extinguished for those of you that have used it?

My other concern is that I only occasionally do low/slow. I usually just light my leftover lump, and pour more on top until I have enough. If I save the EC for low/slow or delicate meals or "occasions" will I be able to just pull out the leftover chunks and put them back in the box? Or is it more hassle than its worth and I should just mix the leftovers with lump for the next cook?

I have found it very easy to snuff out, easier than regular lump. I have always loaded up the basket, snuffed out what wasn't used and then put back in the box. Very easy to do, the burned part falls off easily and does not crumble. Most chunks will not even have been burned. When I first tried the EC I tried the "just put what I need in the basket" method and found that I could not get the temps I wanted and the fire tended to go out. I also used MORE coal than when I filled the basket.