Majestik

On the Chuckwagon

to answer some questions:

1) a chuck roll is a subprimal from a larger cut

2) chuck roasts are cut from chuck rolls

3) a chuck roast cooks way different on the smoker than a whole roll

4) beef shoulder can sometimes be called a shoulder clod, and it's different than a chuck roll

i THINK the chuck roll comes out sssoooo nice is because of its size and fairly uniform shape. on a long cook, it stays at plateau forever and the collagen has a longer time to cook down than a 3# chuck roast would. i'm no expert, but that would be my guess.

most groceries no longer employ real meat men; you may have to get ahold of a meat dept manager, or go to your butcher. the chuck roll will come cryovac'd from the plant.

i've never done shoulder clod, but i understand it also pulls much like a pork shoulder. fwiw.

I went to BJ's tonight and picked up another Chuck Roll. I was eyeing the "Beef Shoulder" at 7lbs, but the butcher came out and said, no, that's not the same... the chuck roll is more tender... then he went in the back and pulled out a nice 18 pounder.... for $1.79/lb... can't wait. I think I'll do it overnight.

:twisted:

Re: On the Chuckwagon

Anyway, the chuck roll was in there with a full load of royal-oak lump and several large chunks of hickory. The little K puffed away for about 7 hours. The temp stayed at about 350F, actually. Not what I intended, but a subject for a different, more melancholy post to come later...

So it was on at 11ish-am and pulled at about 6:30pm. It was truly spectacular. It looks like it lost almost a 3rd of its mass in drippings. I hope these photos can convey the sheer juicy sweetness that was this roast:

Wow! an 18# hunk of meat que'd in 7HRs! I would have expected at min 27HRs! I'm actually surprised you were able to pull it cooking it that high and fast! The pics sure do look great! If this what I can expect I may be done with Brisket as well!

Curly-- North Carolina... we have BJ's, Sam's Club, and Costco. BJ's is a bit weak compared to the big guys, but it's closest to me.

leejp-- Yeah, go figure! The temp was at around 350... and in 7 hrs it pulled so tender and juicy... sometimes the whole "low and slow" thing makes me wonder....

:?

Pictures in Firefox

I use Firefox browser and the pictures do not show up, ImageShack is not supported or I am doing something wrong. Any help or answers?

Thanks

David

David - if you go to Tools -> Options in firefox, a dialog will open. from there choose the content tab, and be sure to check the box that says "load images", and you might as well unselect the one below that which says "fopr the originating site only"

Then, your mouth can water with the rest of us!

Curly-- North Carolina... we have BJ's, Sam's Club, and Costco. BJ's is a bit weak compared to the big guys, but it's closest to me.

leejp-- Yeah, go figure! The temp was at around 350... and in 7 hrs it pulled so tender and juicy... sometimes the whole "low and slow" thing makes me wonder....

:?

I wish we would get a Costco - I HATE SAM"S! I get pissed everytime I go in that place. The meat department guys are the rudest people I have meet in the store - besides the manager. The Sam's in Augusta is the worse one I have ever been in - I refused to renew my membership this year it is so bad.

I been in the same boat for a while with the low and slow thing. I have already started doing briskets at higher temps (240-275) and loving them. I changed my ribs and boston butts to 240 also. The 225 just made the stuff too mushy for me a lot of times.

-=Jasen=-

sams sucks everywhere

I get pissed off just pulling into Sams parking lot. Horrible service...but at least they employ the idiots.

we have BJs , but I havent seen a costco around here. I drove 15 miles PAST 2 SAMS to go to Bjs last week. My membership to sams expired last month, and I havent renewed it, either. They did have the best deal on my 33" jeep tires, and offer liftime rotate/balance/road hazard, but it the a-holes in the tire shop that broke the monkeys back. They were actually decent when I lived in Missouri. Middle America has a little bit differnt culture, i guess.

2nd Chuck Roll....

Another success... this 18lb roast went on the k at 10pm last night. When I went to bed at 11:30, the temp was at 250F, which seemed pretty good. I had just barely cracked the bottom draft, and had the plant dish damper fully "closed". Pulled the roast this morning at 7am... 9 hours... and the temp this morning was 350F as often happens. Still, the roast was tender, and flavorful. The middle 25% of the roast could have used another 3 hours I think... while juicy/tender, the center had to be chopped instead of pulled. But overall... fabulous roast.

img57837dj.jpg

Look at that flap just peeling back like that... mmm....

img57846uv.jpg

So now the fridge & freezer are packed with meat... Looks like I'll be eating lunch in all week next week. ;-)

--Mike

looking very tasty! interesting obersvations on cooking temps. seems this cut is pretty forgiving. the fact you can bump the temp up after it takes smoke recommends it even more to catering and restaurant.

next time, i'll do one of these with a no-sugar rub, let it run at 250 for the first several hours to get the smoke in, then bump it up and see how it finishes...

!!

I am sure ya'll already know this, but figured I would post in case someone did not. Turbinado sugar will not char on you like table sugar will since it is not processed like table sugar. You can find it in most grocery stores without too much fuss.

-=Jasen=-

Oh and Mmmm - sure wish I had that for my lunches while working this weekend. Can I call it lunch when I eat at 12 midnight?

Yeah, when I hit the hay I was thinking about that. It's at about 166 right now, does it get stuck there for a long time like a butt?

I've had it at about 225 all night...about 9 hours.

I just bumped it to 250

Now I gotta go to the garage and put a starter in my harley...get another kind of good-n-greasy :lol:

OK, I bumped it to 250 about 2 hours ago. The meat is now at 181. Approx 12 hours into the cook.

Brisket's are still better tasting to me

OK, I've done the chuck roast and it was dang good. I'll be eating on it for awhile sense I'm basically the only one in the house that eats meat.

But there is nothing that can match the flavor of that brisket...I'll do a brisket next while I still have some foodsavered bags of chuck roast and can really do a side by side.

Briskets still rule man!

Did you ever do that side by side test?

OK, I've done the chuck roast and it was dang good. I'll be eating on it for awhile sense I'm basically the only one in the house that eats meat.

But there is nothing that can match the flavor of that brisket...I'll do a brisket next while I still have some foodsavered bags of chuck roast and can really do a side by side.

Briskets still rule man!