Majestik

No really, this charcoal is DELICIOUS!

So I've got this unused #5 mexi-K sitting there and just pulled off an amazing Chuck Roll... what better follow-up that two racks sweet pork spare ribs?

Ha!

Well, this K had some very common flaws that led to my demise. First, the bands leaked BAD. If I closed the top damper, smoke would POUR out from the bands. Second, the bottom draft didn't seal and/or failed to regulate air flow.

I put some ribs on over a full firebox of lump and hickory chunks with a heat deflector. Put 'em on around 10 or 11ish. The fire was slow to build... it was hovering around 180F when I decided to barely... just BARELY... crack the bottom draft door. Then I went about my day, satisfied with the soft puffs of hickory smoke wafting up the sides (had the top closed).

Came back about 6 hours later to find the K at 400F!!! The draft was all but closed, and the top was closed, but the smoke was rolling out through the bands.

By that time there was nothing I could do... the ribs were burnt to a crisp. Out of two racks I was able to scrape out maybe 2 handfuls of sweet edible flesh... the rest was like burn jerky. How embarrasing. :oops:

So what gives? I have this problem on my mexi-K. And it happened with the Chuck Roll but didn't seem to harm that project. I cannot, and have never been able to, get a decent solid maintained low temperature around 225-250F. I've gotten 275... but usually 300 to 325. How do you guys with Mexi-K's do it? I mean, after 8 years I would think I had a clue... but nope. :oops: It's really depressing.

And the KOMODO... does the new bottom draft help alleviate this problem?

Really, I want to know how to get that low and slow temp... it's maddening. Am I putting too much fuel in or something? I thought I would have to maintain through the long haul.... I just don't get it. And once that temp pops up over 300... just try getting it back down. Aaarg! :evil:

(So you see, Drunk_J, I can't come back being all smug and snooty... bah!)

:cry:

You need a MAJOR band adjustment there dude. I've never had trouble on mine holding a low and slow even with the little bit of leakage I have.

I ain't got nothing to do with technique or cooking ability...if it's all closed up and you can't keep it below 350-400 you need to do the major band adjustment.

Even having done that (I just did mine this week-end), I still fail the paper test from 8 oclock to 12 oclock. I need the high temp automotive silicone to fix it right.

There's a great thread over on the other site that outlines this.

If the band adjustment and the silicone don't fix it I'd email and call (no forum please) and try to get a techician sent out. After that, I'd ask for a refund :oops:

You know, I was one of the pioneers of the ol' silicon gasket... I've gotten my K locked up tight. Not currently, but in the past. I had just never had a lot of luck keeping the temp down... I think it's that draft door... seems like if it's cracked slightly, it may as well be wide open. I dunno.

When I get around to cleaning up and/or repairing my current #7, I will start over with all the seals and see what I can do... regardless of the problem, I still pull some sweet grub outta that thing. But what? too much lump in there or something? What do you do, if in the setup for a cook, your temp gets too high? How do you bring it down without putting it out? Sigh.

:oops:

I mean, I'm exaggerating a little... I have gotten a decent temp from time to time... but it's not from anything I'm doing on purpose.

Normal was the bottom I left open and the top was almost all the way closed. A slight opening on the top for a 200-235 temp.

But when I did the ribs for the forth I had the top almost as tight closed as it would get and the bottom 1/16 open. I had a lot of leakage on the bands. That's when I decided do the band adjustment. Now I'm gonna do the silicone on the lip of the grill.

For me the heat deflector makes a big difference

Without the HS in place, I open my draft door about 1/8" and the top damper about a half a turn. Depends alot on the heat and wind of the day. My K is kinda warm inside after being in the Florida sun all afternoon. Small adjustments on the top will move me about 25*

With the HS in place, I need to rely on the bottom draft door more, but my experience has nee the opposite of yours. The HS makes it harder to get up into roasting temps. Alas, if I try to get 350 indirect, with the K supplied HS, there is a big ole crack that opens up about where the HS sits!

I have had a overnight butt run up to 325 or so on me, but I attributed it to a cold front which brought rain and alot of wind with it during the night I willpay closer attention when I do my chuck roll this weekend and let you knwo how I fare.

My old #7 with the three crack all the wall through the top kept the temp at close to 250 with the top damper down tight and draft door cracked about 1/8 inch. I would clean all old ash out and start with new lump on bottom old added in middle and full load on top. Now just glad it GONE and the OTB is getting closer.

David

!!

Well, that was one problem I never had with my Mexi-K. I could hold temps no problem with or without the guru. I would never open the bottom draft more than the thickness of a quarter (closed with guru) for anything below 300 and regulate from there completely with the top. It always held well.

I tell you what, send me $1k and I will sell you a little hand crafted, pimped out smokey joe, that you can make perfect ribs on everytime! :lol:

-=Jasen=-