Conodo12

General Cooking Question...

Decided to move this question to the "General Area" - Anyone cooking much of anything using direct heat outside of beef (steak, chops, London Broil, etc?) Sounds like just about everything else is getting cooked indirect? Also, how about the Rotis? Is most of it indirect or direct cooking? (I actually thought direct for the rotis)

Thanks!

Re: General Cooking Question...

Decided to move this question to the "General Area" - Anyone cooking much of anything using direct heat outside of beef (steak, chops, London Broil, etc?) Sounds like just about everything else is getting cooked indirect? Also, how about the Rotis? Is most of it indirect or direct cooking? (I actually thought direct for the rotis)

Thanks!

You really have to drop the temps on a low/slow cook if you want to go direct. The KK is just so efficient, which makes it harder to do the direct. There is a thread in the accessory section where I experimented with drilling holes in the defector and calling it a diffuser. Had really good results. Might want to give it a read if your thinking of directs.

-=Jasen=-

There are two big issues with low and slow direct cooks. First you've got less even heat, this may mean you need to turn the cook in the middle or you could have the bottom of the meat charred while the top is still under done. This could be a good thing if you've got people who like "burned to a crisp" meat and others who like "bloody as hell" meat.

Second, the drippings can make the fire difficult to control. Flareups at high temps don't matter much (well, unless they endanger one's eyebrows), but low and slow is a constant battle with keeping the fire under control. Dripping flammable fats and non-flammable juices don't help, but it can be done if you need it to.

The only direct I've done is a pork tenderloin. It came out well, but it was at moderate temps and not true low and slow. The bottom was singed nicely (which I liked) while the top was untouched (the wife liked that).

For me, direct/indirect is a question of how long the cook will take.

I do anything that is a relatively short cook direct - fish, cut up chicken, steaks, pork tenderloin, potatoes, etc. If its a longer cook, it probably going to be indirect - whole chicken, bigger pork loin, roasts.

Some also find the burning grease taste will foul the meal if you go indirect. This is a common complaint with chicken grease.

I have never used a cedar plank personally, but every time I have seen them in use it has been direct.

Once I was reading the fine print on a package since I was curious how cedar was labeled bad to use as smoke wood, but all the rage when cooking a piece of fish on top of a charring piece of cedar(!?). FWIR the fine print said not to reuse them, but again, anyone I have seen using it has used them until they got too charred to use anymore.

I cook over direct quite a bit. I do butterflied chicken, beef and pork tenderloin, fish, turkey etc. I like the char on the skin. Generally I use the main grill, flip about every 15 min and use lower temps to prevent flame-up-usually between 325 and 400 (dome temp). I also try to preheat the grill for 15-30 min before I start.

Jim