Tucker

I need help - please - BBQ GURU

I need some help on this folks.

I have read the posts for the Guru, but still have not figured it all out regarding what pieces and parts I need to equip a small and large KK with Guru's.

If anyone has a packing list they can provide, it would be most appreciated!!

:eek: (I most likely have killed off the brain cells that can figure this out with too many margarita's or martini's)

Got the answer -

Thanks to Conodo12 I have the answer.

I am posting here for other folks.

This is the DigiQII part # 800-1015-000

When you are asked the questions to configure your DigiQII:

Select a Fan:

Pit Bull w/ Hook 25 CFM w/ 6ft ext.

What type of BBQ do you have?

Bulkhead Style Inducer.

I'm not sure I'd go for the 25CFM fan. On my Stoker a 5CFM works fine and my 10CFM can be a little iffy on the controls when I do low temps with lump (a big burst of air can light more lump than you'd like). I'd go with a 10CFM on the Guru since they've apparently got a damper that can reduce the airflow.

5CFM, 10CFM, 25CFM??????

So, when I suggested to Tucker to go with the 25CFM fan, it was no accident. The Stoker has a draft door that is hinged and opens when the fan is blowing against it and closes to prevent unwanted air from entering/escaping. OK design but not foolproof. It is important that you size your fan correctly for your particular cooker.

The BBQGuru provides a sliding door on their fans. This allows for the user to select for the fan to provide 100% of the air to the cooker or literally down to 0%. Because of the way you can limit the air flow on the BBQGuru products, it makes sense to go with the biggest fan. 25CFM will get that fire rollin' quick for steaks or other high-temp grilling/baking. Use this connector: http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... roduct=243 to bypass the electronic controls in order to just stoke that fire! Of course for low and slows, you can drastically cut back on the air flow for successful cooks. Lastly, if Tucker ever wanted to lend his DigiQ II to a friend at a competition, now he has a fan that will accommodate most cookers from very small to quite large! ;)8)

Sorry to be behind the ball, but I also suggest the 10cfm fan. While is does have a draft door adjustment, I think you will have more issues on lower temp holding with a 25 cfm. The 10cfm is already way more than the KK needs. I run my 10 cfm at 75% open, but only because I have a proportional band adjustment electronically with the Promcom. Otherwise I would probably set it at 50%. The larger airflow is great for getting it up to temps, but tends to overshoot by a larger degree (so proportional band is used to reel it in). The DigiQ II should combat this some as it has a startup feature to pause the airflow (like the open lid detect) on a rapid rise. Also the new CyberQ will have proportional band internally (like the Procom) to help tweak it to your liking.

But hey, if you get the 25cfm, lets us know the facts since we are just speculating? You could always have a 25 for blowing on high temp cooks and the 10 for low/slow. I think it was Dennis who keeps a hairdryer on hand for such occasions...hehe!

One last thing, you Guru part number is different than the one on my post on a thread stickied near the top of this section. Was your part number for the short silicone in place tube or for the larger bulkhead? The number I had was for the shorter tube. Thanks for the info to clear it up for others.

-=Jasen=-

Sorry to be behind the ball, but I also suggest the 10cfm fan. While is does have a draft door adjustment, I think you will have more issues on lower temp holding with a 25 cfm. But hey, if you get the 25cfm, lets us know the facts since we are just speculating?

So let me tell you the facts since I do have the 25cfm with the DigiQ II and would never suggest something to someone based on speculation - ;)

When I received my DigiQ II with 25cfm fan, it was straight from the BBQGuru guys at a show in Lancaster, PA. The Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association Expo in the Spring of '08 to be exact. I was buying a Caldera Tall Boy and BBQ Bob suggested the 25cfm fan. Interestingly, he did not size the fan based exclusively on the size of the Caldera alone. Bob mentioned that because of the draft door being adjustable from fully closed to 100% open, that it made the 25cfm fan with DigiQ II very flexible. I have found the same to be true. I can use this set up in virtually any cooker. I have already used it with the Tall Boy, Stumps GF223, and the KK Gen II. All with excellent results varying from high temp cooking to low and slows. Just set the draft door for the cooking you want, set up the DigiQ II with the temp and you are off to the races.

As for the inducer tube, I mentioned the bulk head inducer tube from the Guru boys because of its ease of installation. Also, it is just as easy to take out (for whatever reason) and needs no messy goo for installation.

Hope that helps!

Just FYI the Stoker 25CFM fan would NOT be recommended for two reasons. One is that it's not adjustable like the Guru fans are so you'd really be overdriving the airflow. The second is that the physical interface seems to be different as it needs a different adapter than the 5CFM and 10CFM fans. I guess since with the Guru you're stuck with one cooker at a time there's no need for multiple fans like I've got with my cookers and the Stoker :)

Sorry to be behind the ball' date=' but I also suggest the 10cfm fan. While is does have a draft door adjustment, I think you will have more issues on lower temp holding with a 25 cfm. But hey, if you get the 25cfm, lets us know the facts since we are just speculating?[/quote']

So let me tell you the facts since I do have the 25cfm with the DigiQ II and would never suggest something to someone based on speculation - ;)

Hope that helps!

No need to get up tight, your post did not state you actually had/used a 25 cfm fan (least I did not see that fact)....my apologies. I am glad someone whom has one, now stated that it does without a doubt work well. I have a Procom and a DigiQ II, both with 10 cfm fans and they work great. Since I have no large offset grill or plans to own one, my recommendation will still be the 10cfm fan as that is a better match for the KK looking at flow needed and the $30 price difference in the fans. But it is nice to know for sure now, that any fan we choose will be good.

-=Jasen=-

Jasen - You're the last person I'd be looking to upset on the board. Although after rereading my post, I can see where I may have gotten a little rise out of you... ;);):lol::lol: Seriously, not my intention and I was not the least upset.

I have to mention one last thing - I saw where Dennis was using a hair dryer to stoke his fires for high-temp cooking. That's what helped me to reaffirm my belief that the 25cfm was the one to go with. I know Tucker is not in the cold region like me and many others on the board, but for those that are, the 25cfm helps to get that fire rockin' during the snow storms fast! Steaks anyone?!? For me, and I suspect most of us on this board, there is no end to the BBQ season!! :occasion5::occasion5:

So, not to change the subject but if memory serves me right, you should be getting an influx of visitors to your parts now that the Masters is getting underway, right? :trophy:

Jasen - You're the last person I'd be looking to upset on the board. Although after rereading my post, I can see where I may have gotten a little rise out of you... ;);):lol::lol: Seriously, not my intention and I was not the least upset.

I have to mention one last thing - I saw where Dennis was using a hair dryer to stoke his fires for high-temp cooking. That's what helped me to reaffirm my belief that the 25cfm was the one to go with. I know Tucker is not in the cold region like me and many others on the board, but for those that are, the 25cfm helps to get that fire rockin' during the snow storms fast! Steaks anyone?!? For me, and I suspect most of us on this board, there is no end to the BBQ season!! :occasion5::occasion5:

So, not to change the subject but if memory serves me right, you should be getting an influx of visitors to your parts now that the Masters is getting underway, right? :trophy:

No worries, bottom line was that correct information was brought out. Now we all know any of the fan models will work!

Yup, Masters week is upon us again in my city. Those non-golf fanatics such as myself are stricken to their homes verses fighting traffic and crowds. Oh well, needed to do some cooking this week anyway.....outta practice!

-=Jasen=-

:eek: Can't quite figure out the "inducer tube" issue for the Guru...There seems to be two that are talked about here, the "bulkhead" and the "with threads".

Here is the data from the Guru CyberQ II order site. Which item from this list should be chosen if I am just going to use the Guru (no stoker) on my KK ? I understand the fan issues.

Doors

What type of BBQ do you have? Select a second adpator for another pit.

Standard Offset Mount $17.00

Standard Weber / Weber Smokey Mountain $17.00

Big Green Egg-Small Adaptor Door $22.00

Big Green Egg Med/Lg Adaptor Door $22.00

Big Green Egg XL Adaptor Door $27.00

K #5, 7 ,9 Adaptor Door $35.00

Primo Adaptor Door $22.00

Backwoods Smoker Adaptor Door $37.00

Grill Dome Adaptor Door $20.00

Primo Oval Adaptor Door $22.00

Meadow Creek Adaptor Door $20.00

Bulkhead Style Inducer $35.00